Steering Wheel Vibration.

CANON2441
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm having a problem with my 540i. When ever I hit between 40 and 50 miles per hour, the steering wheel vibrates. Once I'm over 50mph it stops. I had had the wheels balanced by three different places and the problem is still there. Has anyone experience this?

e30m3
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi !

If you've had the wheels balanced then maybe you should look at some of the other 'turning' stuff, maybe your disks are warped, or you may even have warn wheel bearings. Maybe the steering box has a bit too much play in it. Or even your shock absorbers could be warn.

This may give you a few more things to look at.

e30m3
11-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi !

If you've had the wheels balanced then maybe you should look at some of the other 'turning' stuff, maybe your disks are warped, or you may even have warn wheel bearings. Maybe the steering box has a bit too much play in it. Or even your shock absorbers could be warn.

This may give you a few more things to look at.

I obviously meant to spell worn like this on not this [warn] - sorry - complete mental block at the time !

Gr8WebDesigns
12-01-2005, 04:52 AM
I went through the same problems for over 2 years and found out that my Thrust Arm Bushings were bad (along with the brake rotors being slightly warped). I replaced them once. A BIG job for the non-professional mechanic...:screwy: but didn't replace the Control Arm Bushings:headshake. Now I'm replacing both the Control Arms and Thrust Arms (the who thing this time-for the extra expense:2cents:, it's worth the saving of time and frustration:swear:.

supervisor1886
01-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Go to a good frame/susp. shop. (dont go idites like all those crapy average shops like midas, etc they are ll crap) And jack erything up and check for any worn out parts- it should be very obvious.

Sounds expensive, but maybe you could get away with balanced rotors, adjusted bearings and alignment.

Antiburn
01-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Your alignment wont cause a shimmy, bmw bearings rarely go bad and you can adjust them. More then likely its your lower control arms, bushings or tire rod ends. Since youve had the wheels balanced more then once youve illiminated that issue. Check your front suspension for play before you go and waste your money on other ideas.

supervisor1886
01-22-2006, 08:16 PM
The bearings do go bad very fast, so do the ball joints and tie rods. Usually you replace bushings on high mileage cars.

pada
02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Canon, is your 540 an e34 model?

Since you didn't specify, the following is based on the assumption that you're feeling the vibration when the brakes are NOT applied in this speed range...

Even in lower mileage e34's, Thrust Rod Bushings were a common trouble spot that cause a vibration, sometimes felt only in the steering wheel, sometimes in the footwell of the car as well. I'm not sure on the newer style 540's... maybe the same.

A way of determining if this may be the cause of your trouble, without putting the car on a lift, is to have someone else get in the drivers seat while you're standing outside the car to observe the front wheel. Have the person in the car apply the brakes, put it in "Drive", then release the brakes to allow the idling engine to roll the car forward, then re-apply, release, re-apply, release, re-apply the brakes firmly several times in rapid succession while the car is creeping forward. Pump 'em aggressively. If you can see the front wheels actually shift forward and backward in the wheelwell while doing this, then the Thrust Rod Bushings are your problem.

Of course, check everything else under there when you do get it up in the air to be sure all's well.

Good Luck,

Paul (pada)
89 325iA
204k and still looks new!

speedyz4
02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
and dont forget the rims
speedyz4

91HO305TPI
02-24-2006, 10:35 PM
when they balanced your tire did they have a hunter road forc balancer?

Add your comment to this topic!