Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission doesn't downshift

ken_schleimer
11-09-2005, 08:50 AM
My '96 Camry with 160,000 miles does not downshift if I "punch" the accelerator, i.e., on the freeway access ramp trying to get on the freeway or punching the accelerator to get around someone or climbing a steep hill. I can manually downshift, i.e., take it out of overdrive.

Is this something that I can "live with" for a while and simply adjust my driving habits or am I causing more serious damage by continuing to drive.

Toysrme
11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
#1 Always check that the fluid is a pretty red color & that it is full. (Drive around the block until the car is warm, park it, shift through all gear positions get out & check the fluid level)
If it's ugly, or smells bad, flush it. If it's low - you've found your problem.

That being said, I bet your TV cable (Kick-down cable) is most likely out of adjustment.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t53223.html
Around the middle is stock, tightened is sporty. Yours sounds loose.

Daniel M. Dreifus
11-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Before adjusting the transmission cable try this, worked on my '94:

Short section of 2 x 4 lumber, large concrete block
Press and hold gas pedal to the floor.
Adjust throttle cable to wide open position against the stop.
Check that you still have free play at idle.
Since there's less tension (resulting in less cable stretch) on the transmission cable, and they are both moved when adjusting the throttle cable that should do it.
=============
Here's something else that improved shifting response. The factory service manual has a couple of pages describing how to clean and adjust the throttle body. One of the adjustments is the throttle position sensor. You use something like a .028" thickness gauge and check for continuity. Mine was off by a few thousandths and this did make a noticeable difference.
I have the printed manuals, but you ought to be able to find it online in the engine section:
http://camry.turboninjas.com/

Add your comment to this topic!