Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

running hot

Neinta
11-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I had my radiator, water pump, and gaskets replaced recently and ever since, my car has been running hot. The radiator gets very hot but the engine temp gauge never goes above midway/normal. When it gets hot, the cooling fans don't kick on, but they do when I run the AC. I know about running the AC when the engine gets hot.

My question is what is causing this? The fans not kicking on but the temp gauge never going above normal. I just though my camry ran hot (my geo did as well) but the guy who changes my oil thinks it could be a problem. should I be concerned?

Also, In my chilton manual when it talks about draining the radiator, it talks about turning it to it's hottest setting. could this be causing the problem? if so, where is this fabled setting knob?

Toysrme
11-09-2005, 10:53 AM
The fans not kicking on
They didn't plug in the fan relay, or if you have a powersteering pump powered hydraulic fan - the connector on top of the powersteering pump isn't plugged in.

Replace the thermostat also.

my car has been running hot... should I be concerned?.
Yes... :screwy:

They mean turn the air to hot so that the fluid in the heater core can drain.

AccordCodger
11-09-2005, 05:57 PM
[where is this fabled setting knob
It just means the temperature control on the dash - that opens and closes the coolant valve.

AccordCodger
11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Wait, wait. You said The radiator gets very hot
How do you know it's VERY hot? After a brisk drive, it's SUPPOSED to be "very hot" (as in too hot to touch, and close to boiling). If the temp gauge indicates normal, and the fans don't come on, then it sounds normal!

Brian R.
11-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Like AccordCodger said, you may not have a problem. Don't worry unless your temperature gauge climbs up above the middle line where you said it stays.

Keep your overflow tank filled correctly ("hot" or "cold" line)

DeafBy30
11-10-2005, 10:54 AM
check both the top radiator hose and bottom hose and make sure they are both hot when car is at normal operating temperature. if it is then that means you are getting normal flow, if it isn't then the thermostat is probably bad. i think the fans should kick on after a bit to help with the cooling and since you said it isn't then there is something wrong with it.
good luck

AccordCodger
11-10-2005, 09:49 PM
i think the fans should kick on after a bit to help with the cooling
Not in OREGON in November!! The only way they MIGHT do that is if you sit at a high idle in a very sheltered spot. Otherwise, the fans WON'T come on. (I assume you're not running the AC in winter?)

DeafBy30
11-11-2005, 12:18 AM
To AccordCodger,

I dont appreciate you puttin down my advice. My advice is just as good as any. I dont care if yur joking or not, cause those kind of smart-allic remarks are just plain immature.

Hmmm, i wouldn't want to be takin advice from someone of your mentality...

Brian R.
11-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Let's all try to receive a dissenting opinion as just that - an opinion. Both of your comments were helpful and a disagreement on whether a fan should come on or not is not a serious issue.

It is common for people to disagree with others and I don't feel that AccordCodger was intending his post to be as agressive as it sounded. Also, he has a point that you should consider DeafBy30. He is not necessarily right, but he has a point.

Let's all just ease up a little.... :)

csaxon
11-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I think you've scared Neinta (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=176917) away!

Are you out there Neinta (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=176917)?

AccordCodger
11-11-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't feel that AccordCodger was intending his post to be as agressive as it sounded
True - I should've put a smiley in there. Sorry for giving the wrong impression. I was puzzled by the "smart-allic" [sic] part. There was nothing of that kind in there. The question about running the AC wasn't sarcastic - there's sometimes a good reason to run the AC in a cold climate. (But I stick by my opinion about the fans in this case).

DeafBy30
11-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Alrighty

Neinta
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
I think you've scared Neinta (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=176917) away!

Are you out there Neinta (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=176917)?

I'm around. I just don't get online as much as I used to... Damn jobs... always gettin' in the way :lol2:

Here are some answers to questions in no particular order...
No I don't normally use the AC in November in Oregon.

The fan is electric and it is plugged in.

I haven't checked the thermostat in the radiator, but I will.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's been helpful. Also I'm flattered my thread turned into a scuffle. :icon16:

My car's been rode hard (I commute long distances for work, easily put 2500+ miles a month on her). she's been good to me.

PS. Some of you *cough toysrme cough* gotta remember that not everyone here is a gearhead (or whatever y'all are calling yourselves now :smile: ). I know where to put the gas, water, antifreeze, and oil but anything else and I need a map.

AccordCodger
11-15-2005, 09:52 PM
You didn't answer the key question. What makes you think it's running "very hot?"

DFBonnett
11-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't want to get into the middle of any scuffle, but it seems to me the OP doesn't have a problem, other than possibly paying too much attention to the oil change guy who may or may not be qualified to comment. The situation, as the OP described it, seems to be within spec. The temp desn't get above mid-range so the fans don't come on. Absent A/C or defrost, the won't unless the temp rises. He states that the radiator gets hot. It's supposed to. I just don't see where there is a problem.
FWIW
YMMV

AccordCodger
11-16-2005, 06:19 PM
No scuffle. You're just confirming what 2 of us already said.

Neinta
11-16-2005, 11:16 PM
It's too hot to pop the hood immediatly after turning off the engine or while it's running (the latch gets too hot), something I hven't noticed on my parents' or sister's cars. Also, It gives off a lot more front end heat when you are standing next to it than most cars (police interceptor crown vics are the only cars I've seen that give off more heat).

AccordCodger
11-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm still not convinced. Is it boiling over? Are you losing coolant?

Neinta
11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
It's not boiling over but I am loosing a little bit of coolant (no leak, the car's just drinking it). little under 1/4 the overflow reservoir evey 6 to 8 weeks.

Brian R.
11-23-2005, 06:37 AM
It's not boiling over but I am loosing a little bit of coolant (no leak, the car's just drinking it). little under 1/4 the overflow reservoir evey 6 to 8 weeks.

I don't consider this abnormal, unless your car normally doen't loose anything. Evaporation can account for this rate of coolant loss. I don't think you have a problem. (This is a good thing)

Add your comment to this topic!