Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

spring over help

rhartman911
11-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a 89 yj with a 4"lift I wanted spring over,so I bought a dana 44 rear & a 30 frnt both came with spring overs.By advise from rubicon express I bought boomerang greasable shackles for the rear no instrutions on how to install them how do you install them,#2-will my same shocks work? they said they would.#3-also bought a slip yoke elemanator they said just bolted on "yea right" do you know anyone up around placerville ca who does good work (new to area),

Ray H
11-09-2005, 05:53 AM
......By advise from rubicon express I bought boomerang greasable shackles for the rear no instrutions on how to install them how do you install them,
You dont say if you are using stock springs for the spring over or if you are using your 4" lift springs. If you use stock springs, they probably wont last real long in the rear. Spring overs have a tendancy to "wrap" the springs. The torque applied to the springs will cause them to become "S" shaped over time. You can get stiffer aftermarket springs, a torque bar or a full length AAL to correct this. You boomerang shackle goes on with the short leg down and towards the rear. If you use stock springs, I wouldnt use the boomerang. It will cause your springs to wrap faster.

#2-will my same shocks work? they said they would.
I dont know what shocks you have but unless they are long travel shocks, they will fit but hamper your articulation.

#3-also bought a slip yoke elemanator they said just bolted on "yea right"
Did you get the RE hack and tap? Its not really a "bolt on" deal but it is an easy install. Just use some patience and take your time, follow the instructions (if you dont have any instructions, post that you need some and Ill walk you through it (Ive put two of them in and theyre not that hard).
If its a regular SYE with a whole new shaft, you have to remove the rear half of the t-case. It can be done with the t-case in the Jeep but most people remove it. This SYE is actually almost a "bolt on" in that it just replaces the shaft thats already there, but its much more involved because the t-case has to be split. You will need a couple specialty tools such as a good set of snap ring pliers, torque wrench, RTV gasket (Im sure theres something else but Ive been up all night and am probably forgetting it)

rhartman911
11-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Thank You for replying so fast,not sure if the springs are stock unable to get ahold of the person I bought the axles from.what type of frnt &rear shackle do you recomend,as of shocks I will by a new set.I found someone who will install the heavy duty elimanator for 175.00 plus the part just need to pull t-case out

Add your comment to this topic!