Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedo 91 regal need help!

dreager
11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
91 regal 3.8l

Know anything about 91 regal speedo. semi/fully? computerised / electric. has analog gauge/needle, but has circuit board/ electric motor (turns needle) at back of speedo. has gears to run odometer and mileometer, which in turn are wired to circuit board. crapped out when 2 of 3 gears split causing them to be inoperable, which may have put strain on circ board/ motor when they locked. repaired gears and used heat gun to buildup/ strenghten. mileometer works now...odom erractic so disabled by sliding gear to side, but still no speed reading. cruise wont engage except at hi speed, then disengages as needle drops to 0.
needle did bouce up to 50 km prior to this at hi speed (acceleration) and then drop back down to 0, also on slow accelerating. now totally dead since my fix. will try and resolder joints on speedo IC. (they want $300 for new cluster lol ) i swapped tach motor for speedo and got life (pwr) but thats it. i will put speedo in tach see what happens. i want to eliminate these before i consider VSS ($180)
any one out there succeeded in finding cause ?

corning_d3
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Thats a rare occurence for me. First of all, a new VSS is $60 at autozone. Second of all, how did you repair the gears, superglue? If resoldering doesn't do the trick, pull the VSS out of the transmission and inspect the plastic gear. You can test it by chucking it up in a drill and spinning it while a helper observes the speedo gauge.

dreager
11-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I used slow drying lepage glue. Superglue drys out very quick, and is useless. but used heatgun+ melted plastic to strenghten.

Add your comment to this topic!