Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 2.3L quad4 head replacement. Help

packen
11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a 1993 Grand AM with a cracked head that I bought for my daughter. I bought a Haynes manual to rebuild this engine but it is not very helpful. I recently replaced the head on my 97 chevy s10 2.2L using a Haynes manual and it was very clear on what to do. The job was a success so I figured this would be about the same. The Grand Am book is very generic. Not many illustrations and assumes you already know what you are doing(I don't). This 2.3 quad 4 is totally different from my chevy 2.2. Does anybody know where I can get better illustrations and instructions on how to rebuild this engine without paying an arm and leg? I started digging into this thing today but didn't get too far.
Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

skibum1111
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
If you have the knowledge and the tools for the job it will take you about 12 hours as its not an easy job. Follow the instructions for loosening bolts, make sure you follow the patterns. Buy new head bolts, replace the timing chain, and make sure you get a graphite head gasket. Also, make sure you get the right head for your car, a 1993 dohc quad motor will have head #24570753 or #24573303, the second number is the replacement. If its a sohc quad it will be #24574468. Disassembly is as follows (hopefully I remember everything, changed mine last summer) Remove the coil cover, air ducts, air filter box, and battery. Drain the cooling system. Remove the motor mount on the right side, make sure you have something to brace the motor with. Remove the front cover, then remove the timing chain. When you get the gaskets for the timing chain cover, there are 2 different ones, a thick one and a thin one, make sure you get the same one as they are different. Remove the cam housing covers and cams. Remove the head bolts. Make sure everything is unplugged before removing the head. Once the head is off, transfer everything to the new head: Intake, exhaust, etc. To get at 2 of the head bolts it might be necessary to remove the timing chain housing, be careful not to break it. Good luck, if I remember anything else I will post it.

packen
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, you have given me some helpful info. Do you know anywhere I can get an illustration/drawing of this engine pointing out different parts and bolts and such. This engine is so much different than the chevy 2.2 and this Haynes manual is not very clear(almost no illustrations). Also, do you know of a way to drain the cooling system without making a big mess. I can't even find the drain for the radiator. The only way I can see to drain it is by removing the lower hose, and its almost impossible to get to and will get a lot of antifreeze on the floor. I can't even find much info about this engine on the internet.
Thanks again for your help.

skibum1111
11-09-2005, 07:42 AM
My haynes manual showed everything, make sure you look in the right section as the manual covers 5 different motors. You might have to flip between pages as they don't put all the pictures for one job in the same place when it involves removing different components.

skibum1111
11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
My haynes manual showed everything, make sure you look in the right section as the manual covers 5 different motors. You might have to flip between pages as they don't put all the pictures for one job in the same place when it involves removing different components. To drain the cooling system you have to remove the cooling fan and the drain plug is on the bottom corner under the upper hose. Be careful not to break the plug, they are cheap plastic.

Add your comment to this topic!