Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone know where to buy these rims?

gabbadude
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Do any of you know where I can buy these rims for the bmw z3?
The tamiya kit only has the usual standard rims and I am going to be building a replica z3 for a friend cause he has one.

http://www.bluesteam.net/images/other/rims.JPG

blubaja
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
There was a 1:24 scale diecast z3, and the dragon prepainted z3. I'm unsure about the wheels, but at least you have more options to search for. Good luck. Otherwise, tell your friend to get rims you can find in scale;)

MPWR
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
The Dragon Z3 is actually an M coupe, and has the appropriate M coupe wheels. I've never been able to find the stock Z3 wheels to replace the ones in the Tamiya kit. I found a decent set of Fujumi BBS wheels and made them fit for mine, and they look pretty good- but that's not going to help you much.

gabbadude
11-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Damn, This doesn't really make sense. Tamiya only offered the standard rims with the kit but noone made after market rims that I can find. It just seem strange to me!!

gabbadude
11-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Come on, Someone must know of another place to get these rims from!!?!?

Please guys...

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-09-2005, 07:23 AM
I think by now if anyone knew about proper rims you'd have heard about them.

Tamiya for unknown reasons did the base/cheapie wheel for the Z3; a wheel style never even sold in the US where the car was made. I took the factory tour a couple times and did see the wheels Tamiya modeled on a few cars built for export. Why they chose the fugly rims is beyond me.

Most 1/24 diecast Z3's were M Roadsters, the only stock Z3 in diecast has generic wheels.

So unless you want to build your friend a replica in 1/18 diecast you are out of luck. Auto Art made the Z3 in 1/18 with the wheels in your picture. I don't think anyone makes a wheel in 1/24 that comes close to looking like that factory Z3 rim. Sorry, that's just how it is.

gabbadude
11-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Well, If that's the case, then is it too much to ask if anyone ever scratch build rims before.

What am I to do? :(

Add your comment to this topic!