Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine 'roar'

litlred
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
While I'm sitting here reading and learning...I had another question regarding our '99 S10, 4.3 vortec...

Occasionally, when we first start it, the engine has kind of a hollow roar sound...it will run this way for about a 1/4 mile, then it quiets right down and won't act up again that day. Noticed it more when warm weather was here...just does it now maybe once a week or so.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

hakogen
11-08-2005, 11:58 AM
i've noticed the same thing of late, in my '01 2.2L... I dont think it affects the performance of the engine dramatically, thank god, but I have not the foggiest inkling what it is.

movin2stereo
11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
It's the clutch fan.

hakogen
11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
It's the clutch fan.

So what should I do? Will it go away on its own? Will it cause something bigger to break down the line?

Thanks.

litlred
11-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Sweet truck photos, movin2stereo !!!
Same concern as hakogen on the clutch fan...is this a normal development~or something that needs to be serviced?
Thanks!!

OverBoardProject
11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
The only problem is it'll cause your truck to burn a little more fuel because it has to spin the fan when not required.

If you want to eliminate that noise install a Taurus e-fan.

blazee
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
It is completely normal for the fan to be engaged like that for the first few minutes, installing a new one will yield the same results. You wouldn't need to suspect a problem unless it stays engaged for long periods of time or doesn't engage at all.

litlred
11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice folks...its a relief to know that something wierd happening doesn't have to be serious!
Cool avatar, Blazee!

hakogen
11-09-2005, 12:03 AM
thanks guys.

rlith
11-09-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm with above... Install an e-fan..

redwheeler
11-12-2005, 01:17 AM
ok ok lets set this one strait the fan roars because it has oil that causes it to engauge and when it sits for long perods of time the oil settles to one side and causes the fan to spin when you drive the oil evens out and runs fine if it does this all the time than change the cluch and there is no need for a e fan

rlith
11-12-2005, 06:17 AM
ok ok lets set this one strait the fan roars because it has oil that causes it to engauge and when it sits for long perods of time the oil settles to one side and causes the fan to spin when you drive the oil evens out and runs fine if it does this all the time than change the cluch and there is no need for a e fan

I would tend to disagree somewhat...While clutch fans are fine, e-fans have the following benifits

Less noise

Less drag on the engine causing slightly better gas miledge

Neater engine compartment (also less dangerous if you have to work on the engine while it's running, not to say you can't still get your finger chopped off, LOL)

Cheap mod to do.

Typically less weight...

OverBoardProject
11-13-2005, 11:12 AM
I gust made a big trip, and encountered a 50 mile white out snow storm.
My rad somehow got plugged in this storm.
And my e-fan somehow kept enough air flow to keep my Blazer from overheating until it was safe to stop.
I really don't think that a fan clutch would have done that since most of the driving was at a crawl due to the conditions

rlith
11-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I think the clutch fan would have done fine in that situation... I mean, if it didn't people wouldn't drive trucks in snow... What happenes is that the fans be it e-fan or clutch will just suck the air coming up from underneath the truck... As long as it cools the engine... That said I still prefer e-fans...:)

OverBoardProject
11-13-2005, 02:47 PM
The reason why I don't think that it would have done fine is because my motor was rarely reving over 1000 rpm.

If I fould have reved it up to a decent speed I agree that it wouldn't be a problem

Ducaire
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
My truck also does this for the first minute or so it's turned on, then it quits. It's ashame it uses more fuel; otherwise, I'd want it fixed so it would sound like that all the time, because I like the sound. :(

OverBoardProject
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM
I used to have an e-fan that sounded like a jet taking off. NOISY.

So if you like that sort of thing one of those E-fans might be what you want.
It was a Hayens, or something like that. A very big name so it should be easy to find

Add your comment to this topic!