Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Glue Advise/Tips

BlackCiv00
11-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi All.....i've been a member to AF for a while now....i was fixated on the whole civic street thing (still am, but very low on income if ya know what i mean). Besides that, i have begun to get into car building/modeling. Just to let ya know, i wont be competing, i am doing this just for fun andpass the time on the weekends when the wife is doing her school work. My boss gave me a Testors kit of a Ferrari and a Lambo combo with the paint, brushes, and glue in the kit. the only problem i seem to be having it the whole glue thing. anyone have tips or advise on how i should "store" the glue as i work on my model? i notice i would glue one or two pieces, put the tube down while i hold the pieces together, and then go back to it and the tube tip would be either hard or getting hard. Theu glue is no longer like a "liquid" and when i take some it leaves a looooooong streak behind it. so i've been "losing" that little bit and thought maybe someone here would recommend another glue solution or a tip on how i can prevent that goop from happening. hope someone can help and i'm so sorry for this novel i just wrote. :)

freakray
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Don't leave the tube open, place a small spot of glue on a piece of card, place the cap on the tube or something and use a toothpick to apply it.

Alternatively, get one of the liquid type cements which come with an applicator.

MPWR
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Throw that crap in the tube away! Seriously, liquid cement is much, much easier to work with. The liquid stuff doesn't spider web, stick to your fingers and smear places you don't want it, and is easier to put on. Some bottles of liquid cement come with an applicator brush in the lid. they're crap- got to an art supply store, get an inexpensive pointed bruch with natural fibers, put a piece of tape around the end of the handle to keep it separated from your painting brushes, and use it to aply the cement where you want it. I've been using the same brush for, oh, say 16 years now, which is also how long it's been since I've used tube glue. I've it a try, you won't go back.

And if you haven't glued them in place yet, it shouldn't be hard to clean the paint off the springs and try again.

BlackCiv00
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
thanks guys....i will try the liquid cement. i just hate that spider web it does at times. once again, thanks guys. oh, MPWR, the first model im building is a Ferrari F40 like the one in your signature, but its a Testors brand and not a Tamiya.

Add your comment to this topic!