Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stupid drunk driver

snipez
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
anyways......

she was drunk, got a ticket///// (must be nice)

now its been over a month and my insurance companyseems to be giving me the run around...

i'm pretty new to accident claims so bear with me...

#1...she hit me
#2 I phone police
#3 they tell me to come down

screw these numbers, lol

anyways....shes arrested at the station because everyone smelt the booze on her breath

so I go get 2 estimates, both totally oppisite

1 estimate is missing info..blah blah blah

(DO YOUR JOB AUTOBODY GUYS, SHIT)

I give them to my insurance company and then I wait..

a month later I phone the adjuster:

so whats going on? I ask.

"ohhhh, we need to contact her to get her side of the story"
"we cannot get ahold of her" (of course you can't, she owes money) blah blah blah blah

i'm like, ok???? wasn't that info in the police report??

and on a side note, the RCMP did not take pictures of the damage. and this was a drunk driver???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

can someone help me out????

and she mumbled something about my dectuctibale, at $500

#1 I don't have $500
#2 I really don't care if thats' HOW it works
#3 If I do end up paying, I will take her ass to small claims court

Vtec95Civic
11-07-2005, 04:08 PM
When hit by a drunk driver, there should be a law allowing you to put them up against the car and put a bullet between their eyes.

MagicRat
11-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Hmmmmmm..............the RCMP

Red Coated Mountie People..............

Seriously, get a copy of the accident report.

If the cops say she is at fault then your insurance company has to pay to fix your car with no deductible cost to you.

If she was not found to be at fault, but was charged with impared driving because of this accident, you likely will have to pay the deductible, but IMO you have a good chance of getting this back from her in court IF and ONLY IF she is convicted.

fredjacksonsan
11-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry MagicRat, but you're a bit off on this one.

There are two ways to go about getting your car fixed. (Assuming Canadian insurance works same as in US)

Option 1: Her insurance company
Her insurance company will make you wait until she contacts them to give her statement. If she's a scumbag (or in jail) she won't call them back to give her side. Some insurance companies might pay if their driver had a DUI, like in your case. However you can't bank on that. I'd give them one more call, ask if they have the police report. If they don't, or do and won't pay, go through your own company.

Option 2: Your insurance company.
Often it's much easier to fix your own car through your insurance company. If you have Collision coverage, that is. They're friendlier, probably quicker, and don't need to hear from the other driver. Drawback is that you will have to pay your deductible (if any) when you pick up your car from the body shop. What will happen then, is that your insurance company will go after the other insurance company, or the other driver (depending on the situation) to recover both what they've paid out, and your deductible. In most cases you will get your deductible back in full. If you don't, then you might be able to take the other driver to court for the rest.

Overall, I prefer going through my own company. No putting up with the hassle of dealing with the other uncooperative insurance company, or the bullshi* excuses of the other driver for not calling.

snipez
11-09-2005, 08:57 AM
thanks for the reply

but I will never pay money for something I never did

I have a $500 Dedectible.

if I do, I'll take her to small claims court

fredjacksonsan
11-09-2005, 09:05 AM
I agree that paying for someone else's fu*k up sucks, and the choice is definitely yours. You can pay $500 and get your car back in a week, or wait until the other driver calls her insurance company to give her side.

Keep in mind that most of the time, you'll get your deductible back --edit-- when you file through your own insurance, and that you will still have the option of taking her to court afterwards.

Chevy4life1985
11-13-2005, 12:10 AM
If you file under your insurance and send them the police report they should go after the girls insurance. It might not happen but i know that when i was hit the guys insurance gave me shit. So i gave the police report to my insurance they paid (without me paying a deductible) and then went after the guys insurance.

Add your comment to this topic!