1995 9-5 SE V6 Stalling, plus ....

sammynorth
11-07-2005, 10:11 AM
155,000 km (about 96,000 miles) on the odomoter. It has 45,000 km on a replaced engline, and about 10,000 km on a new turbocharger. Automatic transmission.

On hard braking, the engine sometimes seems to hesitate as if it will stall. And somethimes it does,

This morning, when my wife started the car and put it into drive, it barely moved. She let it run for 5-10 minutes and it seemed OK.

Any ideas? Could this be the transmission or torque converter?

Thanks in advance for any clues.

mbunakeith
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
what kind of car? in the us the 9-5 didnt come out until 99'. lets just assume it is a 99 v-6. is the check engine light on? the idm's will cause a condition like that. fuel pumps are junk in these also. if you arent getting enough flow, it will hesitate big time. sounds like the car has been through the wringer. when was the last time the trionic was updated? how did the trans fluid look? smell? is there oil leaking into the plug galleys? crank sensors are a known problem on that engine also. it will cause it to run crappy, but will eventually die and stall the motor. just a few things to think about.

sammynorth
11-10-2005, 12:50 PM
what kind of car? in the us the 9-5 didnt come out until 99'. lets just assume it is a 99 v-6. is the check engine light on? the idm's will cause a condition like that. fuel pumps are junk in these also. if you arent getting enough flow, it will hesitate big time. sounds like the car has been through the wringer. when was the last time the trionic was updated? how did the trans fluid look? smell? is there oil leaking into the plug galleys? crank sensors are a known problem on that engine also. it will cause it to run crappy, but will eventually die and stall the motor. just a few things to think about.

Thanks, buddy. Yes, it's a 1999 9-5 V6.

I took the car to an independent SAAB mechanic here in Toronto, and asked him specifically to look at the items you mentioned, as well as to follow up (obviously) on his own diagnosis.

The short version of the results is that I was extremely low on transmission fluid, and what was there was really dirty. He flushed the transmission a couple of times and refilled it. So far, it seems fine.

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. When it runs, it's marvellous. When it doesn't, well ....... Fortunately, I had a 3rd party extended warranty that covered most of my repairs (probably over $15-$18K over the past few years).

I'm thinking about another, newer 9-5 (rocks in my head?), but a 4 bnager instead of the 6. Any thoughts?

Add your comment to this topic!