Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas Gage

tami01regal
11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I have been having problems with my gas gage. It always tells me the tank is full when I'm driving, but goes to empty when I shut the car off. Is this normal or is my gage broken?

fantastic
01-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I have been having problems with my gas gage. It always tells me the tank is full when I'm driving, but goes to empty when I shut the car off. Is this normal or is my gage broken?

I have a 93 regal. The gas gauges in these cars have had some issuse over the years. In regards to your question, my car does the same thing. I am pretty sure its due to the float device in the tank not having power so it can't send the information to the gauge. As long as it tells you how much gas you have when driving I wouldn't worry.

BNaylor
01-14-2006, 11:55 AM
A common problem on 97 and up Regals is the fuel level sensor and float with is part of the fuel pump assembly located in the gas tank. The level sensor can be replaced without dropping the tank. There is an access cover located behind the rear passenger seat in the trunk. The complete fuel pump assembly can be removed for R&R DIY. It will be expensive to have a dealer or general mechanic do the work. It is recommended to inspect wiring, electrical connectors and grounds by removing the cover. Very seldom is it a defective fuel gauge at the IP.

When ignition is shut off it is a normal indication when the fuel level gauge goes to empty or below that or drops off. Reading full all the time is of course abnormal.

Add your comment to this topic!