Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt- what did i do wrong?

mobil_12
11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I just installed a timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys on a 1998 countour gl with the 2.0 ztec vct engine. I followed the instructions from alldata and the ones that came with belt. I also used the tool to hold the cams in place and the pin to hold the crankshaft in place also.

Now, the engine idles just fine- real smooth. But under load it shakes and pops. Sounds like a timing issue to me, so I tore it back down to make sure all of my marks lined up and the cam tool fit back in. The exhaust cam was just a little bit off. So i redid the belt install and tension and the cams lined up after 2 engine rotations.

I started it up and same situation. Idles fine but misses and pops under a load. I checked the scant tool data and found the vct cam timing showing -15 deg at idle and increases to positive numbers as engine speed increases. I also found that the overall engine timing is around 30 deg. This sounds like too much but I cannot find specs for total timing or vct timing.

Im convinced that this is a timing problem, but I cant figure out where I went wrong on the installation. Please help me with some ideas. Thanks.

mobil_12
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I found out what happened.

I talked with a Ford tech and got some real good ideas to check. I found out that the exiter ring on the flywheel for the crank sensor will break its welds and move a few degrees then reweld to the flywheel. Sounds like bs huh?
I also found out that the ring on the exh camshaft for the cam sensor will break loose and spin. Hmmm....

As it turns out, while watching the data stream while driving the car, it logged misfires on #1 cylinder. I checked the ignition system and found a bad spark plug that was shorting to ground under load. A set of plugs made this car run like a top.

I got my but kicked by a spark plug. I guess the saying rings true: keep it simple stupid.

timothylng
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I just installed a timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys on a 1998 countour gl with the 2.0 ztec vct engine. I followed the instructions from alldata and the ones that came with belt. I also used the tool to hold the cams in place and the pin to hold the crankshaft in place also.

Now, the engine idles just fine- real smooth. But under load it shakes and pops. Sounds like a timing issue to me, so I tore it back down to make sure all of my marks lined up and the cam tool fit back in. The exhaust cam was just a little bit off. So i redid the belt install and tension and the cams lined up after 2 engine rotations.

I started it up and same situation. Idles fine but misses and pops under a load. I checked the scant tool data and found the vct cam timing showing -15 deg at idle and increases to positive numbers as engine speed increases. I also found that the overall engine timing is around 30 deg. This sounds like too much but I cannot find specs for total timing or vct timing.

Im convinced that this is a timing problem, but I cant figure out where I went wrong on the installation. Please help me with some ideas. Thanks.
i have just replaced two belts on two different ford 2.0 vct cars.when you align the cams and slide the flat bar in the ends of them,you must turn the exhaust cam pulley {by hand only}counter clockwise to set it at base timing.it will stay there without holding it.do you have a check engine light on? if code set is p0420 that is what is wrong {timing overretarded}i think.good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!