How To Program a 2000 Buick Century Key Fob???

kb8mcz
11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Can someone tell me the procedure to program a Key Fob for a 2000 Buick Century??
Thanks, Dave

kb8mcz1@charter.net

BNaylor
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
The 2000 and up must be done by the dealer. Checkout link below. For the Regal but applicable to the Century.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118687

kb8mcz
11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Can you give me a ball park figure what the Dealer charges to do this?

Thanks, Dave

BNaylor
11-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Can you give me a ball park figure what the Dealer charges to do this?

Thanks, Dave

The dealer has to use a Tech II machine and it depends on your relationship with the local dealer. I had one done for free and on another a nominal charge of $37.50. Hopefully that gives you an idea. Best thing to do is call your local service department and ask them because what GM dealers charge varies too much. Good luck!

Flatrater
11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
The charge my dealer does is 30 minutes of labor which is about 33 dollars. If you are one of our regular customers most times we will do it for free.

slischyn
11-28-2005, 03:08 PM
The 2000 and up must be done by the dealer. Checkout link below. For the Regal but applicable to the Century.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118687

NOT TRUE,
The service manual says to use a Scan tool but doesn't mention this alternate method so a lot of people assume you absolutely need a Scan tool --this is NOT TRUE.
My 2002 Century key fog can be programmed by the following:

In the event that a transmitter is lost, program the old and the new transmitters into the memory of the remote control door lock receiver. Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

Important
Once entering this procedure, programming the first transmitter erases all previous transmitters. You must program all transmitters, one after the other, in one sitting.

Program one vehicle at a time. One transmitter could be programmed into other vehicles that are also on program mode in close proximity.

1 Sit in the driver's seat.
2 Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3 Close all vehicle doors.
4 Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.
5 While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
6 Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
7 Release the door lock switch. You will hear three chimes. This chime feedback indicates that transmitter programming is active.
8 Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for 12 seconds. You will hear two chimes. This chime feedback indicates that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
9 Repeat step 8 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
10 Exit this procedure by removing the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.

BNaylor
11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
NOT TRUE,
The service manual says to use a Scan tool but doesn't mention this alternate method so a lot of people assume you absolutely need a Scan tool --this is NOT TRUE.
My 2002 Century key fog can be programmed by the following:

In the event that a transmitter is lost, program the old and the new transmitters into the memory of the remote control door lock receiver. Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed.

Important
Once entering this procedure, programming the first transmitter erases all previous transmitters. You must program all transmitters, one after the other, in one sitting.

Program one vehicle at a time. One transmitter could be programmed into other vehicles that are also on program mode in close proximity.

1 Sit in the driver's seat.
2 Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3 Close all vehicle doors.
4 Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.
5 While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
6 Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
7 Release the door lock switch. You will hear three chimes. This chime feedback indicates that transmitter programming is active.
8 Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for 12 seconds. You will hear two chimes. This chime feedback indicates that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
9 Repeat step 8 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
10 Exit this procedure by removing the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.

Whether true or not, it is something you need to take up with Flatrater, our Global Moderator and GM expert tech who posted the procedure.

Your procedure looks the same as the 1997 - 1999 which was contained in the link authored by Flatrater. Maybe he can clarify.

Add your comment to this topic!