Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

383 swap

Jdm_180sx
11-05-2005, 07:56 PM
ok i have a 383 in the garage that needs a crankshaft and heads. what needs to be done to put it in my 90 s10? do i have to fabricate anything or is it a direct bolt in? by the way my s10 is a rwd 4cyl
thanks

OverBoardProject
11-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Good questions there JMD.

You'll have to change the transmission, and the motor mounts

You can either fabricate the motormounts, or buy them from Advanced Adaptors.

The side that bolts to the frame is 2.8L motormounts.

A google search should show you some good swap sites

There's lots of fiddling with the wires and fuel system, but they say that it's worth it

OverBoardProject
11-06-2005, 09:36 AM
With the cost of gas your truck might be worth as much, or more than a V6 model.

Why not see if you can trade it in for a V-6 and you might be happy with the power.

And if your not the 4.3L already has a transmission that will work with your motor swap, saving you some coin.

Plus I would imagine that it's less fiddling.

Jdm_180sx
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM
no i want this mainly for power...the motor was in my brothers 92 toyota truck, and it would pull the tires off the ground. if all i need is tranny, mounts, and wiring then its def. goin in.
thx for the help

balls_to_the_wall
11-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok, minor question here for my own knowledge. I you (overboard) said that they overengineered the frame on our trucks, but how much power does it take before you have to modify the frame to handle it?

OverBoardProject
11-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Good Question.

I've seen S10's with an honest 400Hp under the hood, without any problem.

And I seriously think that 600hp is safe, unless you drive like an ass.

I would re-enforce a frame with anything over 600hp, and consider it with more than 500hp.

As you know not too many small blocks pack that sort of punch, although it's possible.

I have got to see your car when your done with it.

balls_to_the_wall
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
That thing outa go like a bat out hell.......*drools*

But there is a guy here in town that my brother worked with over the summer that has a 383 stroker in an S-10, I realllly want to meet that guy.

*Edit*
Thanks for the info OBP, i've been wondering about that.

OverBoardProject
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
No Prob BTTW

See if that guy will join AF. It would be a nice truck added to the photo gallery

balls_to_the_wall
11-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Alright, will see about that.

dugie6551
11-07-2005, 06:47 AM
I ha d an 87' S15 with a stock 350 in it for years and drove it mildly on the street. Then I drag raced it for 2 years and ended up twisting my motor mounts when I raced it ... and not the frame. The front end of those trucks are super strong because they are factory "boxed".

I agree with the statements above ... anything above 500hp I would box the whole frame. Especially if the front end is bring "lifted" when you accelerate. Then you are "twisting" the back half of the frame.

Just a hint: (drag racing tip) ... Before you install the driveshaft, draw a straight line down the length of it with a sharpie marker (in a colour that can be seen) and keep an eye on the line. If it starts to "twist" then you are twisting the driveshaft and possibly twisting the frame. It is a good warning system before anything serious starts.

Also ... If you have a 2-piece driveshaft, replace it with a single driveshaft from a full size, 4x4 truck. They are bigger in diameter and stronger then the original driveshaft.

OverBoardProject
11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Those are some good ideas Dougie.

I never knew that you raced

dugie6551
11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
I will try and find some pictures of my old truck and post them. I think I have a photo album of the truck somewhere .... but where?

I raced my 87' S15 longbox with a stock 350ci, 350 trans, stock 4cyl rearend and street tires. My best time was 14.80 @ 99.00mph (I think it was somewhere around there).

Add your comment to this topic!