Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

toysrme need your help

ratchetgmc
11-05-2005, 10:07 AM
have been posting on the auto transmission post but very few responses. your knowledge on other posts leads me to believe you can help with information to repair or where to go. 93 camry v6 auto. transmission shifts great when first driving car but after trans warms up am loosing reverse. when this problem began pulled pan and replaced filter. fluid was old and smelled slightly burnt. new filter and refill with amsoil. noticed what i felt was too many metal filings and even some small peices. seems as if it is a pressure issue; when selecting reverse; slips and wants to catch with rpm`s up. believe pressure is dropping with the heating up of trans fluid. how do i check trans pressure; what about control solenoids in trans. any cable adjustements. or am i going to have to pull and replace trans. if so what is the prefered method for pulling; shop manual says pull engine and trans from top of car.thanks in advance to any and all.

AccordCodger
11-05-2005, 12:11 PM
You posted here too. Why did you start a new thread now?

The metal particles are really bad news. The transmission doesn't shed metal when it's working normally.

Others who have done it can tell you the best way to r&r the Txmission.

ratchetgmc
11-05-2005, 02:09 PM
posted again to attempt to get toysrme to respond. he seems to be very knowledgable with these vehicles. did not see your reply about the metal particles until i checked my e-mail. did not see it as a reply to the thread. am new to the web site and did not realize that i could contact toysrme directly. i have a new baby and life is very hectic and now this vehicle is not drivable because i can`t trust it to travel. money is also very tight; did not intend to disrupt web site; maybe i paniced a bit. sorry for the inconveinance; and i do appreciate all help. like all owners that are forced to work on there own vehicles; of course i am hoping for a miracle cure;do not want to pull transmission. also the new thread was intended for a reply to direct me from someone that actually has pulled one of these trannies to let me know what i am getting into.

Brian R.
11-05-2005, 02:19 PM
A list of bad and good ideas for posting.

Starting your own thread is always better than inserting a problem in someone elses thread. It is a bad idea to address the thread to one person, others will ignore it. There are a number of posters aquainted with transmissions here.

It is also a bad idea to PM anyone with your problem. Then no others will benefit from the information - assuming you are helped.

It is a good idea to PM someone to call their attention to your thread. Provide a link in the PM

Toysrme
11-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks, it's a sweet sentament!
The solenoids either work, or they don't. If they don't work, you simply don't get X gears at all.
For line pressure, there is a little test plug on the side of it right above the pan. I've never checked line pressure myself. If you download the '94 Camry repair manual, it covers the A541-E, which is mechanically almost identicle. Mostly electronic changes. Page AX2-72.

You can take the transmission out either way. Pluck the engine & tranny as one piece, or drop just the transmission. Dropping it is faster for someone with a lift that's done the same type of work before.

With all the metal flakes & such, I would think you've damaged a clutch used to select reverse if new fluid @ the correct level didn't fix it.
To select reverse it needs First/Reverse brake, and Direct Clutch, and Overdrive Direct Clutch engaged. I would almost bet you've lost the first & reverse brake because it's only used for selecting Reverse, and when you put the gear selector in L (for 1st). Put the car in L and see if it doesn't slip just like R does, but it's not as bad in other positions.

Good call on checking line pressure tho! That'll let you narrow it down. See the Downloadable Manual on how to troubleshoot via the line presure, and via stall speed. (I would just do jpg parts like I was doing, but I've run out of hosting space & really don't have the time lately. I'm sorry!

ratchetgmc
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Thank You Very Much For Your Time Toysrme; You Were Very Helpful And Timely With Your Reply. Brian R.; Looks As If Soon I May Be Rolling My Sleeves Up And Getting To Work With The Teardown; Maybe I Will Roll The Basinette Into The Garage And Began To Expose My Daughter (3months) Into The Excitement Of Car Repair. Sorry Again For Disturbing The Forum; I Will Learn From This Experience And Try To Share What I Am Learning With Others. Thank You For Your Time Also. New To The Forum; But Learning.

Brian R.
11-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Good. Don't post everything as titles with initial caps. Looks strange.

Also, don't expose your baby to solvents if you're using them. Keep her out of there if you are cleaning parts.

AccordCodger
11-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Just slow down a little, ratchetgmc. d-e-e-p b-r-e-a-t-h-s!

You aren't going to get this problem fixed in a hurry unless you put it in a shop and say "fix it" (and maybe not even then.)

toysrme's observations are probably on the mark, but are you planning on rebuilding your tranny yourself? If not, the details won't help much.

Take a little time. Decide what you want to do (ditch the car, get a tranny replaced professionally, buy one used and fit it yourself etc.) Rent a car for a couple of days if you need to. (and, like Brian said, try to type conventionally - capitals where they neddc to be and nowhere else - it makes a post SO much easier to read).

Add your comment to this topic!