Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What SET UP IS BEST!!!!!!!!!

crabby760
11-05-2005, 06:33 AM
b18c1 gsr block stock with built b16a head?

or built ls block for ls/vtec... with stock b16a head..?

just curious wich woudl put out more power...?

Kven
11-05-2005, 12:37 PM
b18c1 gsr block stock with built b16a head?

or built ls block for ls/vtec... with stock b16a head..?

just curious wich woudl put out more power...?

gsr block with built b16a head.

key to more hp all-motor is in the head....

JustaSolVTEC
11-05-2005, 04:18 PM
it really depends on the build.

CR-VTEC > both

Kven
11-05-2005, 04:20 PM
it really depends on the build.

CR-VTEC > both
yea right...reason being, compression ratio...

crabby760
11-05-2005, 04:26 PM
these were my ideas..?

ls block... type r pistons/rings... ls rods wit arp rod bolts... acl bearing kit... type r oil pump... with b16a head with type r cams /camgears TO START!!!!!!!!

or gsr stock block with b16a ported & polished with type r cams/camgears & complete PORTFLOW Valvetrian...?

right now i have the complete sir 2 jdm b16a motor .... should i keep that and just build both the b16 block and b16 head.. or nah??? ideas people...

oh and wich tranny would be best after i'm done BUILDING...

ls b16 or gsr..? has ls now laggish

GScivic7
11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
B16 has shortest gearing. ITR tranny has LSD. My choice would be between those two.

JustaSolVTEC
11-05-2005, 06:29 PM
yea right...reason being, compression ratio...

using stock B20 pistons....maybe. built, a CR-VTEC will make more power than both.

Schister66
11-05-2005, 09:42 PM
all motor maybe, but b20's aren't good for boost....

JustaSolVTEC
11-06-2005, 12:59 AM
all motor maybe, but b20's aren't good for boost....

how many B20s have you boosted? B20s are fine for anything if you have a good tuner.

to those talking about the B20 and CR-VTEC, how many of you actually own one?

Kven
11-06-2005, 05:33 AM
using stock B20 pistons....maybe. built, a CR-VTEC will make more power than both.

if they were both built; a CRVTEC will be the same as a LSVTEC because youll be able to bore out/resleeve the LS to the same size as the CRV block.

Kven
11-06-2005, 05:40 AM
or gsr stock block with b16a ported & polished with type r cams/camgears & complete PORTFLOW Valvetrian...?

right now i have the complete sir 2 jdm b16a motor .... should i keep that and just build both the b16 block and b16 head.. or nah??? ideas people...

oh and wich tranny would be best after i'm done BUILDING...

ls b16 or gsr..? has ls now laggish

how about this; GSR Block with the p30 b16a pistons, the built b16a head, and b16 or ITR transmission.

If your car is light, you can probally keep it 1.6L

Kven
11-06-2005, 05:45 AM

If actual CRVs count, yea i had one for a bit. you dont need to own one to know about them though; its pretty much a LS block with a larger bore and siamese sleeve design. i do know some people who are running them though with no problems(except for one guy who over-revved his motor and had valve-piston collision; B20-VTEC setup w/ GSR head).

JustaSolVTEC
11-06-2005, 12:38 PM
if they were both built; a CRVTEC will be the same as a LSVTEC because youll be able to bore out/resleeve the LS to the same size as the CRV block.

you could, but then with the money spend boring an LS block to 84mm, you could add more mods to the CR-VTEC. but hey, what do I know? I've only had one for almost two years.

crabby760
11-06-2005, 01:34 PM
my car is a 96 integra

so over all... everyone is saying go b20 block with b16 head?

and a b16 or gsr tranny?

wat internals are best for the b20

crabby760
11-06-2005, 01:38 PM
with me having a integra...

could i just build the whole b16 block and head.... and still be fast or no...

do i need to go b20 vtec?

just curious if there's anyway to make a all motor b16a + nitrous fast in a 94 up integra ?

Kven
11-06-2005, 02:03 PM
since people end up resleeving the block when doing "full builds" anyway, it would be simpler to keep what you already have or can get for cheaper.

The internals for the B20 will be the same for the LS except the larger pistons.

Im guessing the Integra is either a LS, GS, or RS? If it has the B18B, just do an LS-VTEC setup; swap over the head from the B16A and/or the B16 pistons, and get Crome or uberdata and have it tuned. Also, use the B16A transmission too. This would be cheaper. If you had more money you'd resleeve the block anyways, so whether you pick an LS or B20 block, it wouldnt matter.

I would say, a bullet-proofed B16A(so it can handle high-hp shots) w/ at least a Type-R final drive(4.785:1 or numerically higher), and B16A or ITR transmission should be fast enough. btw; if youre using nitrous, its no longer all-motor ;) If you're really set on building the B16A, prepare to invest alot of money into the head. Omniman was able to hit 200whp on a stock-bottom B16A.

Kven
11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
but hey, what do I know? I've only had one for almost two years.

so, youre biased? :P :)

crabby760
11-06-2005, 02:16 PM
so is it possible to make my integra fast with a b16a complete motor..?

i planned on building the b16 head 1st......

skunk 2 stage 2 cams
port flow complete valve train....
skunk 2 cam gears
ported head
milled .020 or .040??

with a skunk 2 or type r intake manifold

i'm sure with that head set up and intake/header/exhaust

tuned with CROME... i can see near 200 whp

Schister66
11-06-2005, 02:24 PM
how many B20s have you boosted? B20s are fine for anything if you have a good tuner.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

directly quoted from them.....

"Most stock Honda motors take boost quite well (the B20 being the exception)."

"This extra displacement comes at a price however. In order to achieve 2.0 liters of displacement the cylinder sleeves are manufactured at 84mm instead of the 81mm on other B series sleeves. The design of these sleeves varies slightly from other Honda sleeves which accounts for their cracking more easily. A simpler way to achieve the 2.0 liters of displacement is to resleeve a LS motor and bore it to 84mm. Also consider that the B20 is much harder to find, which can make them considerably more expensive than a LS motor."

Just goin off of what i read.....

Kven
11-06-2005, 04:50 PM
so is it possible to make my integra fast with a b16a complete motor..?

i planned on building the b16 head 1st......

skunk 2 stage 2 cams
port flow complete valve train....
skunk 2 cam gears
ported head
milled .020 or .040??

with a skunk 2 or type r intake manifold

i'm sure with that head set up and intake/header/exhaust

tuned with CROME... i can see near 200 whp

Yes, its possible. Just get a very high(numerically) final drive to make up for the lack of torque. I would hold off on milling the head though(thats just me, because something like that is irreversible); but if you really need to, just take .020 off. Overall, the setup sounds good, but youre going to need to rev high to make power in the B16. Id recommend some higher-duration cams like the Skunk2 Pro-T1s, BC III+ or BC IVs.

JustaSolVTEC
11-06-2005, 07:21 PM
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

directly quoted from them.....

"Most stock Honda motors take boost quite well (the B20 being the exception)."

"This extra displacement comes at a price however. In order to achieve 2.0 liters of displacement the cylinder sleeves are manufactured at 84mm instead of the 81mm on other B series sleeves. The design of these sleeves varies slightly from other Honda sleeves which accounts for their cracking more easily. A simpler way to achieve the 2.0 liters of displacement is to resleeve a LS motor and bore it to 84mm. Also consider that the B20 is much harder to find, which can make them considerably more expensive than a LS motor."

Just goin off of what i read.....

that's fine. go off what you read. I think I'll stick which taking advice from someone who builds Honda motors daily, someone who had a 400whp integra on stock sleeves, and from someone who had a 500whp B series Civic with stock sleeves. also, I think I can actually talk from experience about a B20 block....since I actually have one. different design? the sleeves are the same design with a different bore.

I bought my B20 block for $200....

and yes, a CR-VTEC vs. LS-VTEC or B18C1 with equal compression, cams...the CR-VTEC will produce more power simply because of the higher displacement.

Add your comment to this topic!