Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

stuck fuel filter

bongabilla
11-04-2005, 08:24 PM
The bolt going into my 97 blazer fuel filter seems to be rusted, and stuck snuggly in my fuel filter (i think its never been replaced, just bought the blazer). Now i went down to my local repair shop and they said to replace it i would have to buy the entire fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel filter, from the dealership. Do yall guys know any good penetrating oil or any tips yall could give me in getting this thing unstuck, or do you know where i could buy this fuel line (i know the dealerships are always overpriced). Thanks.

Jeremy Fitch
11-05-2005, 12:38 AM
The bolt going into my 97 blazer fuel filter seems to be rusted, and stuck snuggly in my fuel filter (i think its never been replaced, just bought the blazer). Now i went down to my local repair shop and they said to replace it i would have to buy the entire fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel filter, from the dealership. Do yall guys know any good penetrating oil or any tips yall could give me in getting this thing unstuck, or do you know where i could buy this fuel line (i know the dealerships are always overpriced). Thanks.

Spray it with WD40 or something similar and use the tubing line wrenches to try to get it apart.

DINO55
11-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Sorry to say but mine was stuck like yours, I used two small pipe wrenches to get mine off.
Heres a small tip:
When I installed my new fuel filter, I carefully coated the threads with a small amount of Never Seize Compound.

MT-2500
11-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Tip on Stuck fuel line nut at filter.
If you have a air chisel or good cold chisel crack the nut part on the fuel filter.
MT-2500

Rick1488
11-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Hello,

You can always cut the line and use a rubber line that they sell at any auto parts which is made for gaslines.

Eyebolt
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
So how did ya end up getting it off???

I tried to work on my 99 yesterday, and had the same issue. Didn't have any tube wrenches so I was using some adjustable cresents and now i'm just hoping I didn't strip the bolt too much.

muddog321
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Hold up guys. This system is at 64 psi so do not put a rubber section in there it will blow. The filter end is US size and the line is metric. If it is frozen then do not mess that fuel line nut up - go buy a brake line wrench that has more sides to it and spray with penetrating oil. To replace the whole metal line to the tank requires lifting the body off the frame to install in the stock mounting brackets. As MT said crack the filter side but don't blow yourself up.

MT-2500
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Hello,

You can always cut the line and use a rubber line that they sell at any auto parts which is made for gaslines.

You can not splice a high pressure fuel line with a rubber hose and be safe.
If you do call 911 before you start it up or drive it.:grinyes: :lol:
MT

DINO55
04-10-2006, 01:32 PM
So how did ya end up getting it off???

I tried to work on my 99 yesterday, and had the same issue. Didn't have any tube wrenches so I was using some adjustable cresents and now i'm just hoping I didn't strip the bolt too much.

I used a Good pair of Visegrips and a small (tiny) pipe wrench and alot of swearing, Mine was already stripped by the first owner of the truck. (TIP) When installing the new fuel filter, a coating of antisieze on all threads will save you a ton of problems and time later.... I can now change my fuel filter in about ten minutes because of this trick.....

Add your comment to this topic!