Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Balancing Rotating Assembly

bennybenster
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey all..

Just wanted to know if anyone knows about how much it costs for a shop to balance my whole rotating assembly. Also, is this even necessary if my goal is 300whp...or can I use that money else where.

Basically, my question is, at what WHP does someone decide that balancing their rotating assembly is needed to reach their goal.

Thanks in advance.

QUICK_EG_B16A
11-04-2005, 07:23 PM
A balanced rotating assembly isn't really needed but, it will allow you to rev a little higher and quicker (very little). It is always a good idea to have done though just for peace of mind if your constantly revving your engine beyond the stock redline.

superbluecivicsi
11-04-2005, 07:49 PM
if you have the money to do it, do it. if you dont, its not needed.

CivicSpoon
11-04-2005, 09:13 PM
There's a guy locally who has done quite few engines for a frined of mine, and he charges $180 (for crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel bnalancing). I've seen a few sites online quote that price as well, but it could be a little more depending where you go.

bennybenster
11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
$180 isn't so bad. Thought it would be more than that. Thanks for the info!!!

greenmonkey
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
balancing your engine isnt really necessary for the goal of 300hp. QUICK_EG_B16A is right in that it will help your rev a little faster and stabilize it at high rpm. balancing your engine is more of an insurance policy with your hp goal. balancing becomes much more important in high hp and revving cars like draggsters or formula one cars.

Schister66
12-01-2005, 02:11 PM
are you boosting the engine or is going to be an NA build??? IF it is going to be an NA build then you might want to think about it especially if it isn't that expensive.....

superbluecivicsi
12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
if you are pulling the internals out just specifically for balancing and micropolishing, then, its really not worth the effort and time. if you plan on swapping out the pistons and rods for hi/lo comp, that is the best time to get it done. some planning goes a long way.

bennybenster
12-02-2005, 12:50 PM
I haven't checked back on this topic in a while. But thanks for the info...

The car has 230k+ miles on it so I was planning on rebuilding and changing the internals. I also wanted to boost the car. But plans have changed. I think for now, I'm going with very mild upgrades on the current engine such as bolt-ons and just drive it as is. I already have a new clutch and lighter flywheel in order. But I'll start building an engine to replace this old one sometime in the future when I have more time and money.

Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!