Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 buick skylark wont start with key

dgh311
11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Hello,
My son has this Buick and has put a new 4 cyl engine in it.It wont start with the key but will start by crossing the cylinoid over on the starter.This engine is out of a 5 speed and the one in it was an automatic.Any info on this problem would be much appreciated.
Denise

Madcat455
11-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Did you take a test light to the starter wire to see if it actually has voltage when the key is turned??

Could it be possible that in the swap it was either left off or cut accidently?? Stranger things have happend..LOL

dgh311
11-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Thank You Madcap455 for your reply.The car runs and all the wires are still connected to the starter etc.He says he can put a toggle switch on it and it would start but doesn't want it on there because he might trade it someday.Beatsa me,
Thanks for your help
Denise

Madcat455
11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
If it'll start with a jumper wire (or a toggle) then that means that the starter remote isn't getting any power from the key. That could be just a blown fuse, bad Key switch, or a broken or bad wire. Or he could've just hooked up the wrong wire to the starter and left the Remote from the key dangling...lol.

With replacing the engine... I'd either go with a broken wire (might have been cut while lifting the old one out or dropping the new one in), attaching the wrong wire (easy to do if he didn't label them as he removed them), or just plain forgetting to hook it up (wich is real easy to do if your in a hurry)

Either way, it should be a simple fix and a Toggle shouldn't be needed.

Add your comment to this topic!