Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone with 2002 Avalon XLS remote programming instructions?

vxtruong
11-04-2005, 06:47 AM
I recently bought a remote off Ebay, but it didn't come with instructions. If anyone has the instruction, please post it. Thanks.

I tried the 2000 Avalon instruction posted by Oldtheoden, the system is responsive but only up to the pressing buttons part. I don't think i have tne RS32000 system as it doesn't respond to it.

Programming: (2000 model supposedly)

1)Driver's door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition
switch.

2)Insert key into ignition switch, then remove it.

3)Press LOCK and UNLOCK on the vehicle door lock control switch at 1 second
intervals 5 times.

4)Close and re-open driver's door.

5)Press LOCK and UNLOCK on the vehicle dorr lock control switch at 1 second
intervals 5 times.

6)Insert key into ignition switch.

7)Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a remote transmitter code
whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program a remote transmitter
code whilst erasing the original codes. Three times to check how many
remote transmitters are currently registered or five times to erase all
registered codes.

8)Remove key from ignition switch:
a)System should now lock unlock vehicle. Once , twice or five times
depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly to
indicate number of remote transmitters registered.

9)Press and hold remote transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, together.

10)Press LOCK remote button for 1 second:
a)System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm, twice to
indicate registration has failed.

11)If required repeat button procedure to program remaining remote
transmitters.

NOTE: To exit programming mode: Close driver's door or insert ignition key.

NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.

csaxon
11-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Your procedure looks wrong. This is from TSB ELOO4-01 issued Jul 09, 02
2002-2004 AVALON:
1. Driver door open and unlocked. Key out of the ignition
2. Insert the key and remove 2 times in 5 sec.
3. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
4. Insert the key and remove it again from ignition.
5. Close and open driver door 2 times in 40 sec.
6. Insert the key in ignition,
7. Close the door,
8. Turn to on and back to lock in 1 second intervals. 1 time for add, 2 times for rewrite, 3 for confirmation 5 for prohibition. (yes, there is no “4”)
9. Remove the key from ignition
10. Power lock will cycle “lock to unlock” the number of times corresponding to key cycles in step 8 to confirm.
11. For add or rewrite modes within 40 sec of door lock confirmation:
A. press “lock” and “unlock” buttons of the FOB simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds then release.
B. within 3 seconds of step A press the transmitter “Lock” button for more than 1 second and release.
C. If it’s correct, the power door lock will cycle once. If it’s wrong the door lock will cycle twice. If it does this then verify you have the right transmitter and perform steps A through C again.

csaxon
11-05-2005, 01:01 PM
http://toyotasecurity.buypartsonline.biz/add1.html (http://toyotasecurity.buypartsonline.biz/add1.html)
This site may help.

vxtruong
11-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I found another link to this but it's the same as CSAXON. I got the remote to work, apparently I held the LOCK and UNLOCK button together too long. ONLY 1 sec PEOPLE! That's all it takes.

Thanks CSAXON

csaxon
11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Glad to help.:wink:

madagascar
07-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks to all the folks here on Automotive Forums. Here's my experience:

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS.

I lost one remote and master key. Reading this forum, I realized that I could be in big trouble if I lost the other master key, my last master key. I bought a remote ($35 total) and transponder key blank ($17 total) from ebay and followed the instructions found here to program them both. I decided to program the key blank before having it cut. That way, if it didn't work for my car for some reason, I could resell it on ebay.

The key programmed without a hitch, however, the remote would not program with the TSB ELOO4-01 instructions. I tried the "wrong" instructions from vxtruong in this thread and they worked! Hmm, maybe there is more than one version of the security system hardware/firmware for the 2000 Avalon. Either way, I could not do it without this forum. Again, many thanks. That's it for my contribution.

PS: when I tried to have Orchard Supply Hardware cut the key, they stuck it in a box to test if there was a transponder (there was) and refused to cut the blank. Dumb. I drove down the street to a very amiable locksmith, and he cut it in 2 minutes for $2.50. He even made sure I knew that I had to program the key. Don't waste your time with OSH.

madagascar
07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
test

madagascar
07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
My contribution: 2000 Toyota Avalon

I lost one of the two master keys, and realized reading this forum that I could be in bad shape if I lost the other master key. I bought a remote ($26 total) and key blank ($17 total) on ebay. I decided to try to program the key before having it cut. If it didn't work, I could resell it on ebay.

Programming the remote with instructions found in this forum worked without a hitch. Programming the key, however, didn't work using the TSB ELOO4-01 instructions. But when I used the "wrong" instructions posted by vxtruong in this thread, they worked! Hmm, maybe the 2000 Avalon has more than one version of the security system hardware/software. Either way, I could not have done it without help from this forum.

PS: When I tried to get the blank cut at Orchard Supply Hardware, they tested the key by putting it in this transponder tester. When they found a "chip," they refused to cut the key. Dumb. I went down the street to a locksmith, and 2 minutes plus $2.50 later, he was done. He even made sure that I knew that I had to program the key. Don't waste your time with OSH.

KellyGWalker
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Just an update to help others avoid frustration. By following the instructions listed by VXTROUNG, I got the keyless remote programmed to match my 2002 Toyota Avalon XLS. As pointed out in the thread, only press the Lock and Unlock keys once and release immediately. Also,at least on my car, I got the "two unlock" clicks after pressing only the Lock at the end of the programming sequence BUT I continued and closed out the programming by following the list and everything works. Thanks to all.

Add your comment to this topic!