Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Navigation system install

daviddhaene
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Has anyone had any luck installing a navigation system in their Century? I'm looking to install one in a 99. In particular, I need help finding the speed sensor hook-up as well as the parking brake rig.

If this question has already been asked and answered, I apologize.

V12Alp
11-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Had a navi for a while, worked perfect in my 1997 Century, had a tough time finding a speed sensor, check with the dealer, I do not remember where was it since my installer told me that they called a dealer!

daviddhaene
04-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I thought I would update progress (don't laugh, my wife doesn't have this project very high on my :shakehead list and we have a baby boy :grinyes: ) -

I called the dealer and they said the speed sensor can be found in the hub assembly on either front wheel. When pressed, no one could (or would) tell me which wire or anything else. So, I called a local installer who quickly told me to pick up the signal from the ECM inside the air cleaner. He very confidently told me to grab the green wire with a white stripe. When I got down to the ECM, I found about 6 green wires with white stripes. :banghead:
So, I'm looking for more help. I will call John back and see if I can find out more about these green wires.

slischyn
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I looked this up for my Century 2002 in the service manual specifically to hook up my Garmin Dead recogning GPS unit.

This wire is off the tranny. I don't have the manual in front of me right now. But it is definitely not off the hub or anywhere else. It MUST come off the Hall effect sensor located on the transmission.

The Garmin manuals specifically state not to hook this on the hub(i.e.ABS sensor---this is very very bad:nono: )

I think the manual calls this the vehicle speed sensor. Look that up. It should be near the output shaft of the tranny. You risk toasting your GPS. This is the ONLY place to hook this up as far as I know.:2cents:

Steve L.

daviddhaene
04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
slischyn, thanks for the warning!
I actually signed up for AllData to find out where to pull the VSS off of the ECM (PCM?) thingy under the air cleaner, as the installer guy instructed. It looked like everything was fine and everything works so far. But this morning (the first time I took it on the express way), I got a message saying that the speed signal isn't sending a pulse and that accuracy might suffer (or something like that). So, maybe something came unplugged or else I didn't get the right speed signal. I wonder if the signal I am pulling is no longer pulsing? I don't know.
I'll go back to AllData and see where to get the signal off of the tranny using the Hall effect sensor. Thank you for sharing.

slischyn
04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
On a 2002 Century, you need to take off the front right wheel to get at the connector according to the service manual. The connector is listed in the transmission section and not the engine controls.

It is a two wire connector with a yellow(high signal) and a purple(low signal).

I'd try the high signal first. Solder the navigation wire on and seal it with a generous amount of silicon sealant.

Steve L.

Add your comment to this topic!