Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

break fluid type?

xsmilk
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
92 integra with abs.... which break fluid to use?( no manual)
2 resivours which DOT # and type for each resivour?

integrawhat
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
honda dot 3 is the best you can get. dot 4 might have a higher boiling point but it isnt necessarily regulated by hondas standards and dot 5 is a completly different compound and you dont want to mix them. i think the 92's had a cable tranny so both resevoirs should be the brakes and should take the same fluid

knorwj
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
the one on the right and the one on the left are both brakes. passenger side is ABS, driver side standard brakes.

You NEED to use DOT 4 brake fluid for the higher boiling point. you will regret not using it if it is a hot day, I know I do. I had a hard time finding DOT 4 in my town so I used DOT 3 well the first day over 90 it boiled out of the brake resevoir while I was driving, next thing I knew my brakes went out and my dummy light came on. I got out and checked the fluid and it was all over my engine bay and there was metal shavings in the dry resevoir.

don't skimp just look for the good stuff so nothing gets ruined by using the wrong stuff.

Our manuals say to use DOT 4 so always try to get at least what the car calls for if not better. That goes for any fluids and parts not just brake fluid. You will be happier in the end.

xsmilk
11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
thank guys i appreciate the feedback..... got any idea on overheating? fan only engages if the a/c is on... it cools as soon as air is running over the rad but the fan dosent kick in on it's own without the a/c thanks again

integrawhat
11-10-2005, 02:28 AM
the one on the right and the one on the left are both brakes. passenger side is ABS, driver side standard brakes.

You NEED to use DOT 4 brake fluid for the higher boiling point. you will regret not using it if it is a hot day, I know I do. I had a hard time finding DOT 4 in my town so I used DOT 3 well the first day over 90 it boiled out of the brake resevoir while I was driving, next thing I knew my brakes went out and my dummy light came on. I got out and checked the fluid and it was all over my engine bay and there was metal shavings in the dry resevoir.

don't skimp just look for the good stuff so nothing gets ruined by using the wrong stuff.

Our manuals say to use DOT 4 so always try to get at least what the car calls for if not better. That goes for any fluids and parts not just brake fluid. You will be happier in the end.

are you sure the problem wasnt somthing else other than the temp rating on your fluid.i find it extremely hard to understand how a 90 deg. day (wich isnt that hot) can boil dot 3 fluid when dot 3 is rated to at least 450 deg. (water doesnt even boil until 212) and incase youve never touched your brakes after use there hot a lot hoter than 90 deg. the most common problem with brake fluid is that its extremely hydroscopic it will absorb any water or moisture it comes in contact with it will absorb water out of the air if not sealed witch will also put water in your brake system and when the brakes get hot (see above temeratures) the water boils and turns into gas witch makes your brakes feel "spongy" and loose power just like if you didnt bleed them properly but still will not boil out of your PRESSURISED brake system and still doesnt explain metal shavings and how the resevoir got "dry". im not saying dot 4 is bad but its not nesisarilly better either

and for your fan problem find the power wire for your fan and splice into it and run the wire into the inside of the car conect it to one side of a switch (SPST) run another wire from the other side of the switch either back to the battery or to a switched power supply thats already in the car( one that has power when the ignition is on). now you can turn on the fan when ever you want. it should take about 30 min. hope it helps

knorwj
11-10-2005, 03:44 PM
i didn't say that the fluid boiled at 90 degrees. but it is more likely that your brake fluid will get up to its boiling point on a hot day instead of a cold one. And it does explain the shavings and the dry resovoir.

~brake fluid gets too hot from spririted driving in hot weather, brake fluid reaches boiling point, boils, overpressurizes the system and releases out of the resovoir, low fluid, not enough fluid in the system casues not enough lubrication for the moving parts in the ABS module... metal shavings.

And like I said Our cars call for DOT 4 so why put an underated DOT 3 in them? besides even among the different brands of DOT 3 fluid you can find different boiling points so if you buy some cheap wal-mart fluid over the good stuff you may also see decreased performance numbers as far as boiling points go.

Add your comment to this topic!