Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad Temp Gauge

boceiphis73
11-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a 2000 Tacoma V6 4x4 When I bought the truck about a mounth ago the temp gauge was actin kinda funny it would not work for about 10 to 15 min. then jump up to the middle mark whre its supposed to be. So it keept gettin worse and now I drive the truck to work every day and the gauge dosrnt move at all. There for a bit it would hesitate quick movements like up and down very fast. So I said it might be the coolant sensor and thats relative easy to change so idid that and It did nothing. So does anyone have any sugestions on this. Is there a way to check the gauge to see if it is bad or what?

Flash75
11-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Check or replace the thermostat before worrying about the gauge. You can use a cooking thermometer to test the coolant temperature. It's cooler in most places now than it was a few weeks ago and it takes longer to warm the engine up. It may never warm up with a bad thermostat.

My truck takes a long time for the guage to reach normal. It doesn't have a problem, the four cylinder Tacoma has the thermostat on the side of the block at the inlet from the bottom radiator hose and the temperature sensor is on the opposite side of the block on the outlet to the top radiator hose.

Clifton

03TRDTacoma
11-04-2005, 03:01 AM
as long as its not overheating, its not a big problem. but yea, i would just check sensors.

boceiphis73
11-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Check or replace the thermostat before worrying about the gauge. You can use a cooking thermometer to test the coolant temperature. It's cooler in most places now than it was a few weeks ago and it takes longer to warm the engine up. It may never warm up with a bad thermostat.

My truck takes a long time for the guage to reach normal. It doesn't have a problem, the four cylinder Tacoma has the thermostat on the side of the block at the inlet from the bottom radiator hose and the temperature sensor is on the opposite side of the block on the outlet to the top radiator hose.

Clifton
So you think it might be the thermostat thats not to hard to change but would the heater be putting out hot air if it is workin. The heat works well it gets really warm so it seems like the enginge is gettin warm but the thermostat might be stuck open maybe I will check it out. Thanks

Flash75
11-07-2005, 04:51 AM
You would have heat with a bad thermostat but it would take muck longer to warm up and there would be less heat. You still need to check the temperature of the coolant with a thermometer to see if the coolant is near running temperature. There is a 2003 Shop manual at;
http://fsm.afraid.org/
You may find some useful information there. Look under combination meter in the wiring diagrams and in volume II under body electrical. If the gauge is bad the combination meter will have to be removed, but I'm not sure if it can be repaired. Be advised that replacing the combination gauge would be expensive.

I have owned at least one Japanese vehicle since 1971 and have never had any kind of gauge fail in any of them.

It may be worth purchasing a cheap electric temperature gauge to test your system with.

Clifton

boceiphis73
11-08-2005, 06:12 PM
You would have heat with a bad thermostat but it would take muck longer to warm up and there would be less heat. You still need to check the temperature of the coolant with a thermometer to see if the coolant is near running temperature. There is a 2003 Shop manual at;
http://fsm.afraid.org/
You may find some useful information there. Look under combination meter in the wiring diagrams and in volume II under body electrical. If the gauge is bad the combination meter will have to be removed, but I'm not sure if it can be repaired. Be advised that replacing the combination gauge would be expensive.

I have owned at least one Japanese vehicle since 1971 and have never had any kind of gauge fail in any of them.

It may be worth purchasing a cheap electric temperature gauge to test your system with.

Clifton
I changed out the thermostst and the gauge stayed the same didnt move and the collant temp was about 185 so I know that is good so how can I test the gauge. Do I pul the wire off the sensor and put a hot wire or ground it out to make it move or ehat. i have a chilto repair manul on the model truck I have I gusee is ther somethin in ther that might be of help.

Flash75
11-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Pulling the wire off the sensor and temporarily and quickly grounding it should tell you if the gauge is working. Don't leave it grounded very long, or you may burn out the gauge.
Clifton

Calvin95
03-14-2006, 04:20 PM
How do I get the coolant sensor off. I don't have anything to get to it. 2000 toyota tacoma V6. a crossover pipe on fuel injection is in the way?

Add your comment to this topic!