Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

High Idle for Sonata'97

rsutedja
11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Hay, I have Sonata'97 that's been having a problem w/ high idle when I try to start the car early morning (around 2000 rpm) but it comes down to 1500 after 1-2 mins. And it actually comes down again to 800-1000 rpm when I shift the gear to the drive mode (D) or reverse (R). Apprently, I really got no problem at all when the car is moving, it running well. And when I shift the gear to parking mode (P) the rpm come back to 1500 rpm? Is that normal?
I just got a question whether this situation just fine or not? Because I'm affraid it will break some other part of my engine/transmission with that 2000 rpm and I got a habit to warn up the engine every morning. Thanks

mysticarcangel
05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Dude i got the same problem I've had this problem since i bought it from my friend.. My HARMONIC BALANCER JUST WENT UP TODAY. Cause my one belt to come off the ac belt and is got my Alternator belt on the endge of the pulley.. So i just had to order one and hope to put it on in the next couple days when it gets here..

But you could have vaccum leak or it could be something else .. Wish someone that new what to do would add there 2 cents to help us out.. Good luck guy..

kennyspackers
05-21-2009, 01:31 AM
I have a 99 Sonata 4 cylinder. Try unplugging your MAF sensor, it is on your air intake between the air filter and intake manifold. There is a built in TPS resistor in it and it will not throw a code. If it drops your RPM down to 800-1000 like it is suppose to be then you need a new MAF sensor. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNPLUGGED though depending on the temp outside it could run to rich and melt your pistons as the intake air temp sensor is also built in to it. Let me know if that works, if not I have a couple other things you can try.

Add your comment to this topic!