Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Getting shocked when getting out of car

nqc2k
11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Often when I get out of my car after driving around, I get a heck of a shock when i touch the metel on the door while getting out. I used to think it was because of my subwoofers and amp, but those have been removed for months, and I still get zapped!

Any ideas?

vamc
11-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Well..your car does have a charge to it, and beleve it or not, you do to. I got shocked when getting out of my parents jeep. and when i get out og my alero. So.. i think there is like a peice of metal or something that draggs below the car to discharge and static. I dont think it would look good on your car though. thats my 2 cents.

vamc
11-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Where is Ma. do you live? I use to live in Holyoke.

nqc2k
11-03-2005, 08:26 AM
OK, glad to know I dont have a problem. I live near Greenfield.

vamc
11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Thats a nice town. Like it there?

nqc2k
11-03-2005, 10:42 PM
its ok, im looking to buy a place near amherst or Northampton soon, but its expensive.

vamc
11-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Your telling me. Northampton is cool. I have been there for some years. Im heading up to springfield and holyoke and a few other places in a few weeks.

Rob_M
11-04-2005, 10:25 AM
you sound like you are a well-grounded individual, lol.

vamc's point about the static charge is correct. here's what i do to eliminate the shock when getting out of a vehicle:

open your car door. place your left hand on the top of the door frame, or other metallic part such as the roof. step out of the vehicle while holding onto the door frame or roof. once you are standing outside the car let go. now, if you touch the car again there should be no shock.

vamc
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
You know...this is why when you pump gas, never get back into the car because when you get out and toutch the pump, you spark a fire. Rob_M -thanks for backing me up, i got a charge out of that.lol

nqc2k
11-04-2005, 08:58 PM
hmmm....yamc, well ur prolly not gonna like this idea then....when I pump gas, as u know in this state, they break the automatic pump clips off, so u have to manually pump gas. I jam my wallet into the trigger of the nossle so it pumps while I sit in my car listening to the radio......haha no good?

vamc
11-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Well...you know...lol...if you do that, when it over fills..you may get more gas on the ground then in your tank. lol.....usually people use there gas cap..but good idea.Ill keep that i mind. :-)

BNaylor
11-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Well...you know...lol...if you do that, when it over fills..you may get more gas on the ground then in your tank. lol.....usually people use there gas cap..but good idea.Ill keep that i mind. :-)

You know Andrew whats scares me the most is when I get gas and some dumba%# female pulls up and starts using her cellphone when fueling up. :screwy:

PotIsYourFriend
11-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I use my cellphone when filling up... But then again it's a non-explosive cell phone used for work :p

vamc
11-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I was watching mythbusters on tv the other day and they tested that to see if the cell phone makes a spark, and they siad it could not be done, but still anything is possable, such as that.

BNaylor
11-06-2005, 06:22 PM
I was watching mythbusters on tv the other day and they tested that to see if the cell phone makes a spark, and they siad it could not be done, but still anything is possable, such as that.

Freak accidents occur every day. It's better safe than sorry. I follow the warnings in my cell phone manual and on the gas pumps and expect other people to do the same in my presence like at a gas station. On females it would be the distraction factor. They can't even drive properly while jacking on the cell phone.

Two of the incidents back in the late nineties that occurred overseas were never substantiated, however, there are now two in the US. See link below.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_fires.html

Also, the US Air Force has documented cases when the cell phone rang around jet propulsion fuel such as JP4 or JP8 it caused ignition and a fire. Cell phone use around aircraft fuel is strictly forbidden.

vamc
11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I good joke surfaced at work today, its kinda funny. Whats the difference between a VA. Hospital R.N; and a bullet?
Sorry to be off topic.

BNaylor
11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I good joke surfaced at work today, its kinda funny. Whats the difference between a VA. Hospital R.N; and a bullet?
Sorry to be off topic.

lol. :lol2: What's the difference?

vamc
11-07-2005, 01:42 PM
A bullet can only kill once while a VA. RN can cill more then once.
P.S. They just move the R.N. to a difference area.

mgs2006
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I dont get it...

vamc
11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
At all VA hospitals, The r.n's are not fired or really punished, they just move them. The government way of doing things is to make it harder for this thing to happen agine. the r.n. will work in a different area for a few months, then they will work back in assigned area. In Medina general, there would be a big investagation(sp) and if it was the r.n. falt, the r.n. could be fired or suspended w/o pay. More or less.

Add your comment to this topic!