Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 alero won't start

skinkade
11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I have a 2000 olds alero. The problem only happens maybe once a month or so. It will start fine I will shut it off and 5 minutes later it won't start may have to try 5 or 6 times to get it started or sometimes you have to let it set for hours. I took it to a garage they hooked it up to a computer it passed all test. They told me it was the fuel pump. I had a new fuel pump and fuel filter put on it which was expensive that still did not fix the problem. Also this just started my low trac light comes on often sometimes when I first start it and it stays on for a minute or so while sitting still. Can someone help me please.

vamc
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
What kind of gas are you putting into it. I know sometimes my car does that, not to often, but it will take one more turn it start it up. i use 94 oct and when i use 93 it does not do that. some cheep gas cound do that. i would stay away from 87 oct.

BNaylor
11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Which engine do you have and how many miles?

skinkade
11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
It is a 2.4L L4 engine and it has 85000 mile.

Which engine do you have and how many miles?

sssrrrrrr
11-09-2005, 11:46 PM
i had that same issue on my 2000 gls it kept happening over and over then found out it was my fuel pump- they are made of plastic and there were pieces all over my fuel tank... THEN no more than two days later it wouldnt start. But that time it was a fuse. I actually took the fuse from my a/c and switched it and it was fine. Only problem is i cant remember which fuse it was- i just remember borrowing the ac fuse cause i was without ac for a day. You should be able to tell if ur fuel pump isnt working by turning the key to the accessory position and listening for a whirring noise from the gas tank if u hear the whirring noise then its working. hope this helps some

Add your comment to this topic!