When to change the timing belt?

ts128158
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I just bought a 97 Mirage 1.5l with 95k on it when should I change the timing belt? There are no symptoms of any problems with the timing. This would be more of a maintinance thing. Thank you!

evoryda
11-06-2005, 09:06 PM
i think mitsu suggests every 30k so it should have been changed recently but just check for wear like pieces of teeth missing, spliting, dry rotting, ya know abnormal wear.

ts128158
11-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Is it an easy change? I'm fairly skilled when it comes to changing parts. I just dont want to mess up the timing.

DFBonnett
11-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Gates belts recommends 60K miles. There are generally no symptoms of a failing belt. It just snaps. You have an "interference" engine. That means if it snaps while running, the pistons will hit the valves and you will be in for an enormous repair bill. There is a considerable learning curve to changing these belts and often special tools which are model specific are required. On some engines the procedure to set the valve timing is a bit quirky. You will also need a shop manual for instructions.
I've been working on my own cars for over forty years and when the time comes for my wife's Camry to get a new belt, I'm going to pay someone with experience to do that job.
All that being said, you can do it yourself if you are determined to do so.
FWIW
YMMV

ts128158
11-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... I'll have to get a manual and decide from there. Thank you for the responses

Add your comment to this topic!