Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing AC compressor

buckroo
11-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Just how much trouble is it to replace the AC compressor on a 1995 Buick LaSabre with the 3.8 v6 engine? I am generally considered mechanically inclined as I do most all my work on my cars and I also have a certification for ac repair. Is there a site that gives step by step for replacing the compressor? Any help will be appreciated.

stuzman
11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Just how much trouble is it to replace the AC compressor on a 1995 Buick LaSabre with the 3.8 v6 engine? I am generally considered mechanically inclined as I do most all my work on my cars and I also have a certification for ac repair. Is there a site that gives step by step for replacing the compressor? Any help will be appreciated.

Can't say how much trouble it is for your car, but I've done it on a Volkswagen. This site http://www.autoacforum.com/ has some top notch pros and can answer just about any question that you throw at them. They helped me with some pointers on my recyling, evacuation, flushing, receiver/dryer replacement, etc. If you need parts for your car, www.ackits.com is a good place to get the stuff. I purchased most of my ac stuff from them. The people running the forum are also connected with the ackits site.

mcqueary
11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I just replaced the compressor on mother-in-laws' 95 Lesabre this summer and had no major problems. The compressor is easily accessable from underneath the car after you remove the rubber splash guards. Also as you probably know, it's a good idea to replace the accumulator and orifice tube and flush the system while it is open. Flushing is especially important if you had a compressor mechanical failure. After flushing, make sure you add compressor oil via the accumulator or hoses before closing the system up. The compressor should also have oil in it so there's no friction at iniitial startup. Install the O-tube, accumulator, and compressor. The system should now be air tight. Be sure to evacuate to remove moisture and air for about 1 hour before recharging.

If things go well, this job should take about 4 - 6 hours after you get all the parts you need. Your AC should be in nearly brand new condition. And think of all the money you saved. I agree with the previous poster on the AC bulletin board site. They were a great help when I was learning about AC repair. Also I've not heard good things from chain store rebuilt compressors so I would shop for a quality new product since you do not want to repeat this repair in a few months.

Add your comment to this topic!