Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

knocking in the steering

katana1981
11-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi guys! Its going to be sshort and sweet.. Went to the dealer and after a 150$ of nothing, they told me that the problem was behind the steering wheel LOL.

I let drive a lot of person to tell them the problem and the feel it too.

When driving only, when the steering wheel is turned whatever the angle, not straight, turned and when there's a pressure on the accelerator I FEEL not hear, I FEEL a little annoying knocking in the steering wheel. I've changed the bushings already on the stab bar and near the wheels..and other mobile part just to make sure.. but wasn't the problem...

anybody had a similar problem?!? BTW, its not the "cremaillère" (sorry its french dunno the word in english).. I changed it 2 weeks ago and still checked it and it is fine.

Thanks a lot :D

BTW, its a 2002 Regal Buick with V6 3.8L LS series :D

BNaylor
11-02-2005, 08:32 AM
How miles or kilometers are on it? There is a known issue with the steering system intermediate shaft. There are u-joints that may need lubrication and/or the coupling may be loose.

Front end problems or rack and pinion sound unlikely considering the age of your Regal but you never know.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/regalgs.jpg

katana1981
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
there is 70 000 km on the car! the issue with the steering.. is it an emergency or TSB or I can wait a little while to change it?!

BNaylor
11-02-2005, 08:12 PM
there is 70 000 km on the car! the issue with the steering.. is it an emergency or TSB or I can wait a little while to change it?!

The problem is annoying but I am not sure if it is a safety hazard that requires immediate repair.

Here is a synopsis of the GM TSB. It affected primarily 2001 - 2002 Chevy Monte Carlos and other GM vehicles but the Impala and other "W" bodies such as the Regal are possibly subject to a similar problem.

A clunk type noise from the front of the vehicle during a turning manuver - sometimes also felt through the steering wheel when the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop when the vehicle isn't moving - may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft. This results in a "slip stick" condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise (TSB 01-02-32-001B, July 2002)

A GM dealer should have a kit, GM #26098237. This kit contains instructions, a syringe of lube, and a rubber cork/stopper to plug yoke end of shaft when forcing lube into splines. Cost approximately $12. A GM Kent-Moore tool to keep the steering column locked, as stated in the TSB is normally required. Doing this repair could damage wiring on SIR coil, if wheel is turned excessively with ISS removed. GM's original TSB listed the lube kit as a fix, but the latest TSB calls for ISS (intermediate steering shaft) replacement.

katana1981
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
okay and tour suggestion will be?!

Do it myself or go to the dealer and talk about that issue again? Does the TSB is good for my car? Cause I dont know how much it costs for a ISS replacement..

BNaylor
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
okay and tour suggestion will be?!

Do it myself or go to the dealer and talk about that issue again? Does the TSB is good for my car? Cause I dont know how much it costs for a ISS replacement..

You could talk to dealer and see how much they will charge to do the work unless your Regal is still under any type of warranty in which the TSB should cover free. I'd get a quote on the lubrication and ISS replacement separate. A lot of GM "W" body owners have reported success with the lube job and even performed the work Do It Yourself. Replacement of the ISS would require special servicing knowledge.

BTW - According to my TSB data the following GM TSBs are applicable to the 2001 - 2002 Buick Regal:

010232001B - July 2002
010232001C - Sept 2003

Good luck!

katana1981
11-03-2005, 04:54 PM
what are those 2 TSB except the TSB numbers.. cause if my dealer tells me that there's no TSB, I wanna show them what it is if possible tks! I'll give feedback for sure!

BNaylor
11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
what are those 2 TSB except the TSB numbers.. cause if my dealer tells me that there's no TSB, I wanna show them what it is if possible tks! I'll give feedback for sure!

One is for the lube procedure and the other for ISS replacement. As I mentioned earlier the TSB was applicable to 2001 - 2002 Chevy Monte Carlos but other GM "W" body owners (Impala, Regal & Grand Prix) are having similar symptoms and problems. The TSB description of vehicles covered is vague. It said and some other GM vehicles. Some have filed consumer complaints. One repair job in which the dealer would not cover cost $800 USD. I suggest calling Buick Customer Service:

US
1-800-521-7300

CANADA
1-800-263-3777 (English)
1-800-263-7854 (French)

katana1981
11-08-2005, 08:43 PM
went to the dealer yesterday and today! it cost me 408$ tax inlcuded to change the intermediate steering shaft! They already lubrificated it before and the problem was still there... tomorrow, I'll go back to the dealer with a good friend of mine.. cause it is NOT normal to change that after that poor mileage...

I had a lot of cars and changes some normal stuff after a while.... for example: stab bushing after 80 000 km, shocks after 200 000 kms etc.. but not a shaft after 70 000 km!!!!

I'll give you feedback ASAP after I meet a director of GM :D

HotZ28
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Good luck meeting that GM director!! Usually, they just send some flunkie out from the back of the shop with a new title, DIRECTOR!

katana1981
11-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi guys!! I just want to give you feedback!! I received a call past Friday and GM Canada agreed that it wasn't normal to change the intermediate steering shaft at that mileage... usually, you don't change it at all!

Anyway, GM Canada called me and they said that there's a "cheque" that covers all the expenses I did for that piece and all the checkup I've made for that kinda problem before they fix it!

It's sad that I had to yell a lot, discourage some GM customers in the store so the director would believe that I was mad about that!! but, just to tell you that if GM Canada think its not normal to change the ISS at that kinda of mileage... you should do the same and fight!!! They are aware of the problem and I don't have any warranty on the car btw!!

Good Luck all!

BNaylor
11-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Good job! Thanks for the feedback. :bigthumb:

Now, if we can only get GM USA to do the same and take responsibility.

Hopefully, the numerous lawsuits filed against GM on this issue and others prevail and the NHTSA gets off it's bureaucratic rear end and orders a recall.

Add your comment to this topic!