97 Taurus Turn Signals not working

shane_1096
11-02-2005, 06:04 AM
In my 97 Ford Taurus the turn signals and hazzards are not working. I changed the fuses, but still no luck. Someone mentioned that there might be another fuse box under the hood (besides the maxi fuse box). Also someone mentioned the blinker fluid being low. Any replys are greatful. And oh yeah I am kidding about the blinker fluid, I aint that dumb.

way2old
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Possibly the multi-function(turn signal)switch.

giddyup50
11-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Check all the fuses and relays that are involved with the signals and hazards. Try pulling them out one at a time then see if they work or not. If you pull one then check the signals/haz. and they work you've narrowed it down to something with that fuse or what that fuse allows power to go to. It probably is the multifunction switch (99%). I just changed mine last weekend. It's easy. Get a Haynes manual at any parts store. BE CAREFULL EVEN WITH THE BATT. DISCONNECTED THERE ARE SENSORS FOR THE AIRBAG THAT CAN STILL GO OFF IF YOU ARE CARELESS!!! Took about an hour, any questions just ask. I got the part at Advanced Auto $55 and Ford wanted $300 for the whole job. Just take your time and do it right.

next_perception
11-04-2005, 01:50 AM
i had this problem with my 97 ford taurus about 8 months ago. Mine was definately the multifunction switch. not a hard repair.

shane_1096
11-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks - I got the Haynes Manual and am reading up on it now.

giddyup50
11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
There are some parts of that manual when they say check section 12.2 (example) and you go to that section and you're looking and looking and you swear those people are smoking crack because you can't find what they're talking about. Just keep looking you'll get it. Be carefull when you disconnect the switch not to break the plastic clips on the wiring harness! Any problems, just ask!

giddyup50
11-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey Shane, go to the thread I wrote NEED HELP BRIGHTS ARE STILL ON. You can see the problem I was having and what shorod had to say. That might help you. Good luck.

shane_1096
11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for every ones help here - This has to be one of the greatest forums. Plus one can save a lot of money by reading up on here. Thanks for all yalls help

giddyup50
11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
So...did you fix the problem? Was it your multifunction switch? Fill us in man.

shane_1096
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I was planning on working on the switch today and replacing it. I had done called and got one priced and everything. I was on the way to get it when I decided to try the blinkers. They decided to work. I had looked up under and found the switch so I would know what I needed and make sure they did not try to sell me some extra stuff to go with it. I jiggled it a little and pushed some wires around. I reckon it was just a loose connection there. Anyway they are all working now. Thanks for all yalls help.

giddyup50
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
That's what I hate about electical stuff, it could be anything. Well, if you need any help just ask.

rockinrooney
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
thanxs all i hope this sovles my problems as i have tried everything but that the multifunction switch but can somebody tell me where to find this switch once agian thanxs rockinrooney

GPFred
09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
The 97 Taurus is very similar to the 98. I had a similar issue and it turned out that there is a relay up under the dash that is part of the turn signal/hazard light system. It could also be that this relay is becoming intermittent. Glad you got the problem fixed.

KU4MY
10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, my 96's turn signals are not working either so, I decided to go ahead and stock up on fuses and grabbed a flasher relay too. Got home with the goodie bag and checked the fuse (10A, third row from left, fourth up from bottom) and it was good. So, now I start to hunt the relay and am unable to find it. Now, as I am an old guy now, focusing on a fuse box or anything like that that is not more than 2 1/2 feet or so away is a challenge.....:bloated:

Could someone tell me where the flasher relays are mounted for the turn signals and heck emergency flashers too while you are at it please?

shorod
10-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Your 1996 Taurus has an electronic flasher located under the left hand side of the instrument panel. It will be a smallish box, probably black and will not look like what you're used to for a flasher. Both the turn signals and the hazard lights use the same flasher.

The three wires to the flasher are black, light blue, and red/white.

-Rod

KU4MY
10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Yep it was quite easy to find, apparently very UNLIKE the '97 model as the relay box was mounted just above the under lip of the dash and was quite literally in front of my nose as I reached for the top of the dash to find it. It was bolted to the edge of the dash with a little bracket, was light blue and quite easy to get to. This solved my turn signal issue so that seems to have taken care of that.

Add your comment to this topic!