Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leak, but where?

BowtieS10
11-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Anyone ever had any problems with their coolant leaking? Seems to be a pretty good leak, but not bad, yet. After about 5-10 miles of driving, there is a noticeable drop in the coolant level.
It's not anywhere in the front, no drips, puddles, or signs of any leaks. All visible hoses, clamps, etc., ok.
But when I looked underneath, I could see coolant dripping from the transmission. Tried looking around the rear of the engine, but couldn't really see anything. Any ideas of where it might be leaking? :screwy:

Bads Crew
11-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Look close at all your hoses while its running. You could have a cracked hose that is spraying it when the RPMs are up. If its not that look at the freeze plugs. I think that there are a few behind the bell housing so you will have to remove the inspection plate at the bottom under the fly wheel. Your heater core could be leaking and runing out of the drain hose for your AC condenser. A pump up presure tester would help you out. Check your cap to to make sure your not building up too much presure.

OverBoardProject
11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't know about the 4 bangers, but with the 2.8L there are some freeze plugs behind the bell housing, so you have to either pull the motor or transmission or motor.

And I undersatnd that the 4.3L has the same sort of thing.

I don't want to say bad design, but I can't call it anything else.

dmbrisket 51
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know about the 4 bangers, but with the 2.8L there are some freeze plugs behind the bell housing, so you have to either pull the motor or transmission or motor.

And I undersatnd that the 4.3L has the same sort of thing.

I don't want to say bad design, but I can't call it anything else.
bad designe? freeze plugs were never ever ever made to "save" a moter from that dumbass in the north using water, they are sand core plugs, at the factory, core sand is used for some internals, and that is whre freeze plugs come from... what size moter we talken about in your dime bowtie?? could have a leak in the back of your plastic lower intake gasket, check oil for antifreeze

BowtieS10
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
It's a 2.2L 4 cylinder.

dmbrisket 51
11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
could be the bleed hole on the water pump... seams realy odd, but ive seen it happen on L6 jeeps

foetoid
11-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Anyone ever had any problems with their coolant leaking? Seems to be a pretty good leak, but not bad, yet. After about 5-10 miles of driving, there is a noticeable drop in the coolant level.

I had a similar problem with my 92 S-10. It actually ended up being my radiator. AutoZone has pressure testers that you can use as long as you put a deposit down. Check your cap, and the radiator itself. If neither of those are the problems, it might be a water pump issue. I was able to pick up a replacement radiator from a pick 'n' pull junkyard for $45.00.

OverBoardProject
11-02-2005, 12:30 AM
bad designe? freeze plugs were never ever ever made to "save" a moter from that dumbass in the north using water, they are sand core plugs, at the factory, core sand is used for some internals, and that is whre freeze plugs come from... what size moter we talken about in your dime bowtie?? could have a leak in the back of your plastic lower intake gasket, check oil for antifreeze

I agree they are't ment to save a block from someone that doesn't add water, and for that mater the block often cracks instead of a frost plug popping.

If they can make a block without them in the front where it's easy to service they can sure keep them in a more servicable place out back.

BowtieS10
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
It's not the water pump, radiator or hoses. It's not coming from anywhere in the front of the engine.
It's dripping from the transmission. It's kinda hard to see back there, so I was hoping someone would know. It's not anywhere that I can see in the back of the engine, so I'm clueless. :banghead:

OverBoardProject
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Best case senerio is the head gaskets.
If you'r really unlucky it'll be those frost plugs behind the transmission. These ones will require either the engine being pulled, or the transmission.

I would imagine that it's a 2wd, which isn't too bad. Just pull the transmission then either the clutch or flex plate.

I would think that the back of the motor is pretty easy to check out, compaired to the V6 motors

Good Luck

Bads Crew
11-03-2005, 05:17 AM
If it was mine and I had checked everything I could get to I would put a bottle of stop leak in it before I started pulling the heads or engine and see if I could make it through the winter. Then I would tear it down in warmer weather or just replace the truck.

OverBoardProject
11-03-2005, 09:58 AM
If your going to use stop leak disconect the heater hoses while you do this, and plug them up.

Otherwise you might end up with no heat

BowtieS10
11-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Weather isn't an issue for me. The only problem is that I use the truck daily for work, so I really don't want it out of commision for extended periods.
And I have no need for the heater, I would rather have the AC working.

whitetrash982
11-04-2005, 12:15 AM
depending on the year of the 2.2 , GM had alot fo problems with the head gaskets leaking coolant externally , as im sure alot of us s-10 guys know , generally in the back left (drivers) side of the head , good luck

mikendeb1202
11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
The 2.2 is known for the corner of the head gasket to corrode and in some cases the head itself.
I have changed many 2.2 head gaskets. If you can on the exhaust manifold side of the engine try looking around the rear corner. If you don't have access to a pressure tester, all you need to do is top off the coolant, put the cap on, and run the engine at about 1500-2000 RPM's while you watch the rear corner. It might be hard to see but it will most likely be right below the rear part of the exh manifold.

Mike

BowtieS10
11-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll go check on that, and I hope that's it.

brad66
12-20-2005, 07:58 PM
i had a leak on my 94 SS and it was coming from a loosened intake manifold and leaking out by the distributor and then down onto the tranny. took forever to find but a couple of hours work, new gasket and THREAD LOCKER/SEALANT on the ntake bolts and it was fixed.

GSsg98
12-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Intake manifold leak I bet!! This happened to me this past summer on my 93 4.3L TBI.... could not see the leak either, but after a VERY close inspection....coolant was leaking out the manifold. I would add water, then it would run hot after about 2 days later (small, but noticeable leak).
It sounds like YOUR leak is from the REAR portion of the manifold and dripping down over the tranny.

Just my guess.

Floyd_ODB
12-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I just resurfaced a 2.2 today that was all coroded by the driver side rear head bolt. It cleaned up enough to hold water but oil could seap down the bolt.

Add your comment to this topic!