Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cutting decals on the model?

mickbench
10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Did a search for this, but never found the answer, but how do I correctly cut a decal on the model. For example, I have two halves of a body, and a decal that is not pre-cut goes over the two halves.

To cut the decal BEFORE application wouldn't work as getting it lined up correctly would be a hell of a job.

So, could I lay the decal down and then cut using a very sharp x acto blade? Or will this just tear the decal?

Thanks

willimo
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Photocopy the decal sheet. Cut the copy of the decal that spans the two parts out, and place it on the model before you paint it, and tape it in place. Mark where the panels meet. Transfer the marks to the decal. Cut it before applying.

Or whatever.

Vric
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Scalemotorsport often suggest in their instruction to apply the decals, let dry few minutes and use a very sharp X-acto blade to cut it.

freakray
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
The sharp Xacto will work, just do as Eric mentions and allow a few minutes for the decal to dry.
When you cut it, go slowly, too fast and you can tear it.

Captain Mark
10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
On my Jordan 191 where I had to do this, I put the decal on and let it dry for most of the day, made sure it wasn't going to budge anywhere, then cut it using a very sharp blade. Worked perfectly for me.

RallyRaider
10-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes I do this regularly over panel lines and such. Very easy to get it wrong and tear the decal but if you take it carefully you'll be right. Make sure the blade is very sharp, and cut slowly with almost no pressure, just the weight of the knife itself. I usually drag the handle forward so the angle of the blade is pushing the decal down (if you know what I mean) so it is even less likely to tear. Also make sure the decal is dry enough to be firmy stuck in place, you don't want it moving with the blade as you're cutting.

mikemechanic
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Make sure the blade is very sharp, and cut slowly with almost no pressure, just the weight of the knife itself.

And don't cut your thumb with that sharp blade. :evillol: I usually let it dry overnight then cot the line after the decal is good and dry.

MidMazar
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
i actually ran into this problem earlier today, except the decals that i have are about 12 years old. Just like everyone stated, let it dry and cut the decal with a fresh blade, works like a charm.

Jaymes
10-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I set the decals, let it dry somewhat in place and set, and then cut with xacto. Then I take Microsol and a brush and push the edges of the decals over the edges of the two halves of the surface so it looks like the graphics go all the way through.

gionc
11-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I've been using this tip for some c/f coverage: insthead of take the shape with tape, for small parts and not over other decals, I place a c/f shape, set it and "sol":iceslolan it, wait for curing (much more than some minutes) cut the edges with a sharp knife and finally remove the excess from body with masking tape (carefully)

for spare panels I prefere cut the decals in advance to fill also edges (copy,mark & cut)

BUT note: in the real cars they place a pre-cut stencil or a digital print on cast pvc over entire car and then cut panel's edges in the middle

Add your comment to this topic!