Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

water pump

BamaRodeo
10-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Is there a way to test the water pump? Here lately I've noticed the hot smell of coolent after driving. None of the dummie lights have come on, and I see not leakage. However, I'm hitting the road this weekend and dont want to worry about it 'officially' going out in the middle of no where.
Any ideas, suggestions, etc?
Thanks
~BamaRodeo

amigo-2k
10-31-2005, 08:20 AM
normally you will see a little leaking, and will hear a bit of bearing noise.

pennfire51
12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
a bearing noise? Is that like a windup scren type of noice everytime you push on the accerlorator? cause my truck started doing that a couple days ago and i am wondering what it is. i have a 99 isuzu rodeo

thanks for the help

calvin

trooperbc
12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
a bearing noise? Is that like a windup scren type of noice everytime you push on the accerlorator? ...
calvin

could be, it also could be a slipping belt. usually the belt will first show up when it's cold and then get better as the air heats up either from the engine or the sun.

you can try to use a mechanic's stethoscope to help locate the source, or a piece of hose in your ear or a length of old broom handle or even a long screwdriver -- anything that will help isolate the sound and direct it to your ear

//bc

Ramblin Fever
12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
My waterpump failure didn't really give any warning - no leaking, no noise. Except 2 days before it went, I started hearing this bearing type noise, but it was also REAL cold so I didn't think too much about it; finally on the 3rd morning it started sounding like I threw a rod and was dumping antifreeze everywhere - at that point it was a given.

surferfletch
12-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Look around for leaks! Search to find the common spots.

pennfire51
12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
also today when i got home and waited a little bit there were a couple drops of antifreeze on the ground. does that help?

calvin

trooperbc
12-17-2006, 08:12 PM
also today when i got home and waited a little bit there were a couple drops of antifreeze on the ground. does that help?

calvin

where were they? i mean what part of the engine was above the drips. crawl under and follow the green....

//bc

Add your comment to this topic!