Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Won't start on first try!

Matimus
10-31-2005, 07:34 AM
For the past week or so, my 2002 LeSabre either won't start or stalls on the first try. The second attempt it starts and idles rough or runs great.
Any thoughts?

I suspect bad gasoline or water in the fuel. I added a bottle of "Water Remover" .... wood alcohol ..... but I don't have a good feeling it will solve the problem.

Is there something to check in the throttle body or the injection system?

Thanx.

LeSabre97mint
10-31-2005, 08:58 AM
For the past week or so, my 2002 LeSabre either won't start or stalls on the first try. The second attempt it starts and idles rough or runs great.
Any thoughts?

I suspect bad gasoline or water in the fuel. I added a bottle of "Water Remover" .... wood alcohol ..... but I don't have a good feeling it will solve the problem.

Is there something to check in the throttle body or the injection system?

Thanx.

I had my 97 do this when I had a fuel leak in the fuel line just before the fuel filter. Do you smell gas when you get out of the car? Will the car start on the first time if you shut it down and the try to restart it?

Regards

Dan

Matimus
10-31-2005, 10:18 AM
There is NOT the smell of gasoline and it will start reliably if the engine has been off for less than 3 minutes. Longer than that, it acts up again. BTW, it has 47K miles.

maxwedge
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator see if any traces of fuel in the hose or around the regulator coonection to the hose.

LeSabre97mint
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator see if any traces of fuel in the hose or around the regulator coonection to the hose.

Along with Maxwedges' thoughts about the fuel pressure regulator, get a fuel psi gauage and hook it up, start the car watch the psi. Shut off the car and watch the gauage. I would be willing to bet that the psi would bleed down before 5 mts is up.

This could be because of the fuel psi reg, leaking injector, leaking checkvalve in the fuel pump.

Just some thoughts from afar.

Regards

Dan

Matimus
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
You guys were a great help. It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator leaking into the intake system causing it to flood which required the additional start and/or cranking time. Thanx again. Mr. Ed

LeSabre97mint
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
You guys were a great help. It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator leaking into the intake system causing it to flood which required the additional start and/or cranking time. Thanx again. Mr. Ed

Mr ED

Glad we were able to point you in the correct direction. Were you able to replace the regulator by yourself? You should see better fuel millage with the regulator working and not sucking fuel.

Regards

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!