Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinking about water pump and t-belt change?

surferfletch
10-31-2005, 12:10 AM
I finished fixing a coolant leak, changing valve cover and intake gaskets (though one may be leaking), changing the timing belt and tensioner and water pump, today. Did it on and off in, oh, 3 weeks or so, with a small hurricane interruption.

What I found out:

It's nice to have a vehicle that doesn't leave a puddle.

The timing belt can go a long way past 60 or even 75K. This has been mentioned several times previously, but I've been wary since I dropped a belt on another vehicle at 60K. The belt may have been ever so slightly stretched and the tooth height was slightly less on the old belt. The water pump also looked very good. I change my coolant every summer, though. I could have let this setup go at least 20K more. It had been in there 86K.

I think I got the timing set better than the last guy who did it. I think he was off a couple of teeth (cam marks were dead on, but the crank was a little off). This would have made a BIG difference in my VW, but it doesn't seem to be as crucial in the Rodeo. He also had put the tensioner on upside down. I guess that doesn't matter much either...

Hope it helps someone!!

Tom01Rodeo
10-31-2005, 06:35 AM
What year/engine is your rodeo? I got to thinking about the timing belt on my '01 V6 Rodeo the other day. What is the suggested change interval?

surferfletch
10-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Mine is a '97 3.2L. I think the recommended inspection interval for yours is 75K, if I remember right from the FAQ section Ryan put together.

Gizmo42
10-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Mine is a '97 3.2L. I think the recommended inspection interval for yours is 75K, if I remember right from the FAQ section Ryan put together.

Actually isuzu changed the interval for 98+ 3.2 and 3.5DI engines. There is a TSB out for it..

TSB: SB99-01-S002 They also no longer recommend a timing belt interval of 75k miles for normal service. The new interval for normal is 100k for the 98 3.2l and 3.5l motors. They are "non-interference", so the consequence for a belt breaking is that your vehicle no longer has engine power, not that your engine powers through itself for lunch. Under severe service, 75k is still the recommendation.

surferfletch
10-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the correct info!

Add your comment to this topic!