Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter turns but engine doesn't crank

nitrotechnician
10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
It's an 86 2.8L 3 spd auto trans. Yesterday I got some engine cleaner and cleaned the engine. Started up and got some smoke from the header so i figured i needed to rinse the cleaner off again. Rinsed it and now it won't start. Battery is new good voltage and amps, cables are good, terminals clean and so are the grounds. I checked the cables to starter solenoid cleaned and reinstalled. I did every test imaginible to the NSS. It is functioning properly. I checked the shift linkage for adjustment. When you turn the key (shift lever in park or neutral) the starter sounds like it's spinning (like a mild varoom as the key is turned) but engine is not cranking. I tried to go through troubleshooting the ignition switch and everything checks out. When I place a jumper from the + battery terminal to the starter solenoid it's does the same sound, but the engine doesn't turn over in any instance. I can crank the engine by hand so it is not seized or plugged. Is it possible that the noise I hear is the solenoid but the starter isn't turning? I didn't think the solenoid would be that type of sound but a click. I've searched the forum and did most of the tips from other posts and now I'm running out of ideas. I have not pulled the starter out yet but will probably do that this afternoon for closer inspection. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JDusen4211
10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
if the motor is not turning over but you think that the starter is working, i would take the starter off real quick and to see if it is actually spinning, if it isn't, then that is your problem... just get another starter. if it is, then you might have damage to the fly wheel, check to see if any teeth are missing when you pull down the starter and check for damage to the teeth on the starter as well. check to make sure that there is a good ground connection and make sure that all of the bolts are tight so that the starter is mounted flush so that the teeth line up.

Dale Aeppli
10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
It's an 86 2.8L 3 spd auto trans. Yesterday I got some engine cleaner and cleaned the engine. Started up and got some smoke from the header so i figured i needed to rinse the cleaner off again. Rinsed it and now it won't start. Battery is new good voltage and amps, cables are good, terminals clean and so are the grounds. I checked the cables to starter solenoid cleaned and reinstalled. I did every test imaginible to the NSS. It is functioning properly. I checked the shift linkage for adjustment. When you turn the key (shift lever in park or neutral) the starter sounds like it's spinning (like a mild varoom as the key is turned) but engine is not cranking. I tried to go through troubleshooting the ignition switch and everything checks out. When I place a jumper from the + battery terminal to the starter solenoid it's does the same sound, but the engine doesn't turn over in any instance. I can crank the engine by hand so it is not seized or plugged. Is it possible that the noise I hear is the solenoid but the starter isn't turning? I didn't think the solenoid would be that type of sound but a click. I've searched the forum and did most of the tips from other posts and now I'm running out of ideas. I have not pulled the starter out yet but will probably do that this afternoon for closer inspection. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over, you may have a bad bendix assembly. it's in the starter has s small gear that engages the flywheel and turn engine over. it has a clutch assembly built in it, one way it will turn engine and the other way it supposed to spin free, so it doesn't ruin flywheel when they go bad the starter will spin but the engine will not turn over. questions holler jeepman600@sbcglobal.net Dale

nitrotechnician
10-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I got the starter out and the teeth were okay on both the starter and the engine...thank God!! I think Dale is right, internals of the starter weren't moving all that well. When I pulled it off I got dumped on with water. I tried cleaning it out and greasing everything so they moved freely. Cleaned all the terminals and connections to a shine. Got it back in but no luck..same thing. Looks like a new starter is coming out of my next paycheck. How does this not happen with all you guys 4 wheelin' and playin in the mud?
thanks for all your help guys it's much appreciated.

shanerenee
10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
i have a 92 jeep comanchee it has spark and fuel but wont start

Dale Aeppli
10-30-2005, 08:11 PM
i have a 92 jeep comanchee it has spark and fuel but wont start
Do you have spark at both the plug wires and at coil wire,try spraying throttle body cleaner in throttle body make sure it's got fuel. Dale

Add your comment to this topic!