Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Locktronics issue... I think

kdi_73
10-30-2005, 01:24 AM
:uhoh: I"m having problems starting my 95 Rodeo. Sometimes its fine and starts right up. Othertimes, it just makes that first click. But here's where it is getting tricky, (well for me anyway =) sometimes, after trying to start it repeatedly, very little power gets through, which makes it seem like its the battery... does this fall on line with the Locktronics system shorting out? Could someone please point me in the right direction?

~~~Kathi~~~

Ramblin Fever
10-30-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't believe you have a short; it's probably your alternator. These trucks will act really strange, i.e. transmission will shift weird, radio shuts off, heater/ac controls won't work, and lots of other flukey things will happen when their alternators start to fail.

Take it somewhere and have it tested "under a load", don't be surprized if they tell you that it's fine. Most of the time, the alternators will show that they're fine, even if they're losing a bit of charge - but for an Isuzu, it's not powerful enough at that point. :uhoh:

These trucks love good, clear voltage, and if they sense a weakness, they'll act retarded :sly:

When you do have to get another alternator, I highly recommend that you get an OEM alternator or a BOSCH alternator. Do not waist your time in getting just a regular aftermarket alt. these trucks will kill it :banghead: within a few months.

rodeo02
10-30-2005, 05:54 PM
No idea what a locktronics is, but you either have a worn starter (brushes), or your charging system is not up to snuff.
G/luck
Joel

Cat Fuzz
10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
If you're just getting one click sometimes and its starts normal other times, its the starter. I'd bet money on it. I know exactly whats happening, but its difficult to explain in just text.

directory
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
can you get a high output alt for this truck? 160-200 amp?

Canucklehead
10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
No idea what a locktronics is...
Maybe it's the Electronics that control the door Locks... hence "Lock-tronics". :evillol:

rodeo02
10-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe it's the Electronics that control the door Locks... hence "Lock-tronics". :evillol:

Ah HA! It's near the flux capacitor, just below the fitzer valve! :rofl:

Joel

Cat Fuzz
10-31-2005, 09:42 PM

I have a Loc tronics thingy on my Rodeo. Came with it when I bought it used. Theres a little chip you can pull out and the car can't be started without it, even if you have the key.

kdi_73
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok, Sorry I posted and ran, it was crunch time at work. Ok, here's what I've done so far. First I removed the battery cables, and cleaned the connections. There was a bit of corrosion on them, but it really didn't make a difference. The starter has been removed and contacts were cleaned. they looked fine too. In may, the alternator was replaced with an oem one. the core was fine. A stereo was put in at the same time. Think there could be any correlation? If not, where would everyone go next? The ignition switch? and what about my charging system? what would i troubleshoot with that? I thank you again...

Cat Fuzz
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
If you're just getting one click sometimes and its starts normal other times, its the starter. I'd bet money on it. I know exactly whats happening, but its difficult to explain in just text.

I quote myself. :icon16: I should come up with an illustration to explain this. Starts sometimes, get one click other times, starter is bad. Well, specifically, the solonoid is bad, but you can't get starter parts anymore.

Ramblin Fever
11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
It wouldn't be unexpected after this many years to be the starter - I'd take Cat Fuzz's advise and just replace it. Don't bother fiddling with everything else.

Cat Fuzz
11-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Okay, I'll try to explain this.

In the starter solonoid (relay) there is a metal plunger with a larger flat end that is electro-magnetically drawn toward a pair of contacts when you turn the key to the start position. Those contacts then close which provides power to rotate the starter. There is alot of current flowing through those contacts and when the circuit is broken (when the engine starts), it usually creates an electrical arc. The arc is what wears down the contactors. If the contactors wear unevenly, you get a starter that works sometimes and not other times. The click you hear is the plunger being drawn in but not making a connection on both sides because of the uneven wear.

I should draw a picture, or something. :headshake

Add your comment to this topic!