Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 lumina euro stalling at stops

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 12:19 AM
does anyone know where the fuel filter is on this car? I need to change it, along with checking with a mechanic about why my car will stall at stopping. It does sit for 2 weeks at a time or more because of work and travel. I thought it might be moisture in fuel because car is in Anchorage and due to temperature fluctuations so I added some iso-heet when I fueled up today and then the car starts stalling at stops.

This is the 3rd time this has occured and always seems it happens after I have been running around for a while. 92 euro with 93K miles and the engine light seems to come on when i first start it when returning from it sitting a while and usually goes away after it warms up a little.

Any input is greatly appreciated

maxwedge
10-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Near the tank under the ls of the car, but I don't think this is the problem, get it scanned and check the code, lots of possibilities here.

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks, I have also been reading a lot of other entries to this forum from people with the same problems and i think i have narrowed it down to few possibilities to check out before i pull out the wallet, i.e...EGR, IAC, ignition coils. TCC or possibly the fuel pressure regulator. I tend to start with simplicity and common sense before ripping stuff apart. the sport will be scanned today.

jeffcoslacker
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks, I have also been reading a lot of other entries to this forum from people with the same problems and i think i have narrowed it down to few possibilities to check out before i pull out the wallet, i.e...EGR, IAC, ignition coils. TCC or possibly the fuel pressure regulator. I tend to start with simplicity and common sense before ripping stuff apart. the sport will be scanned today.

Occam's Razor...:iceslolan

TCC stalling usually (but not always) is accompanied by a feeling that the car is fighting the brakes just before it quits running, and will lots of times die after restart every time it is put in gear until the pressure bleeds off, then works fine until the next episode.

FPR problem will generally cause bad performance all around, but again, not for certain. (is anything?:sly:)

Coils are probably OK, they wouldn't all cut off together and cause a stall, unless the ignition module or crank position sensor were breaking up, probably most likely.

The IAC could cause it too, if you can feel the stall coming on, and were able to recover by giving it throttle, that would point more in that direction, and more or less rule out ignition or TCC as a cause.

Fuel pump or filter is possible, but will usually lay down on a hard demand, like trying to get on the highway, pulling hills, etc.

If you suspect fuel, you could rent or buy a fuel pressure gauge and run it up where you can tape it to the windshield and watch as you drive....

jeffcoslacker
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
P.S., yes, get that code. The IAC could be setting the code if it is causing it to be too lean on cold start....among other things.

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 02:27 PM
i just read an account of just unplugging the TCC, with only one real side effect which is slightly lower fuel economy. any ideas or input on this?

maxwedge
10-30-2005, 04:09 PM
For test purposes only, plus on most electronic units you would be disabling shift functions also, the problem with this is the fluid will overheat from prolonged use of the car/truck set up like this.

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 04:25 PM
ok just bought a book for 92 luminas and i am looking and found a section on codes. there seems to be 2 types of codes OBD-I and OBD-II. now i understand how to check for the 2 digit codes like 12 but is there a way to check for codes such as P-1860 for example without using a scanner? also could my problem be a fuel pressure regulator problem, just a thought, thanks

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 04:28 PM
sorry, I already asked about the FPR, this problem is driving me nuts and i think i am becoming obbsesive about it lol

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 06:51 PM
well i used a paper clip to find the code and it is code 43 and that is the ESC (knock sensor). would that cause me to stall while in gear at a light or stop sign? the book says a faulty ESC can retard spark timing up to 20 degrees. i'm not sure what that means. maybe i am the retard and not the ESC. lol. if in fact that is the problem are they difficult to change? Book says behind the oil filter, haven't looked but I will next.

NeonKnight
10-30-2005, 08:32 PM
if the timing retard the engine will miss and do other things of the sort. that can cause your problem. take your car to autzone have them pull the codes for free, make sure you are getting all the codes and everything. just ignore what they say most of them dont know whats going on lol.

alaskan75
10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
thanks, i replaced the fuel filter and ran it pretty good, and seems to be a little better, yet i am still leary about what might happen down the road after a while, as for autozone i am in achorage alaska and we don't have such luxeries, yet called napa and they are useless, still have to check with a mechanic friend who has a scanner, thanks again and i keep this updated incase someone else needs input

jeffcoslacker
10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
A 20 degree retard of ignition timing would probably kill the motor, yes, especially with no throttle applied (idling in gear). As timing retards, the engine's response to throttle gets more and more flat, and idle speed drops.

Another thing to consider:

(and this is way out there, but within the realm of possibility)

Early knock sensor equipped motors (like yours), you could take a wrench or whatever and tap it against the cylinder head rapidly, simulating knock, and the knock sensor, really just a very crude and durable microphone, would tell the control system to retard spark timing, and you'd hear the idle speed drop as it did.

What I'm driving at, make sure there is nothing loose (like an accesory bracket,etc) that could be rattling against the motor at idle, and fooling the knock sensor.

crowbarmunky
10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
I had the same problem, and it was my fuel pressure regulator. Got it replaced and worked great.

Add your comment to this topic!