Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95-96 No 4x4 Hi - Low works - I did a search w/no results.

DelCoch
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
I did a search and had no luck with this particular problem. I have a ’95 Jimmy 4x4 with 105K miles. The problem is the High side of the 4x4 doesn’t engage, or even attempt to engage. The 4x4 Hi indicator light doesn't light when pressed, no clicking, nothing.

When in neutral the Low side engages like it should, but sometimes in doing so, both the High and Low indicator lights stay on. Other times just the Low light is on, like it should be.

When in 4x4 Low side, and in neutral, if I hit the Hi button, both Hi and Low indicator lights flash together 5-times and it goes into 2-wheel drive.

When in 2-wheel drive and in neutral, when pressing the High button, both high and low indicator lights flash together 5-times and then go out, nothing else happens, nothing engages, nothing clicks, and it stays in 2-wheel drive.

When the gear shift lever is in any other position, except neutral, pressing the High button does nothing, no light, no clicking – nothing.

It’s my understanding that the electrical and mechanical aspects of the 95 and 96 4x4 Jimmy transmissions are more or less stand along units. That starting in 97 and on up, the 4x4 setup is entirely different.

I’m in a backwoods small town area and the nearest Advance or Autozone auto parts stores are 90 miles away. The local Chevy dealer said it will cost 25-30 bucks for them to read the codes, but I would rather spend that money on parts if I only knew what to buy.

So, if anyone has seen, heard or solved this problem on a 95 or 96 I would appreciate any info you can offer.

Thanks,

DelC

rlith
10-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Check the vac actuator under the battery for tears or holes... (most common prob) Check all vac hoses to the transfercase for dryrot or tears...(especially the one from the vac actuator under the battery) If all that is ok, check your vac switch on the transfer case.. If all these are ok, more than likely it will be your transfercase switch...

DelCoch
10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Problem solved, I hope.

I disconnected the battery cable and left it overnight. Hooked it back up today and the 4x4 works ok. However, now the air bag light is on – go figure.

Twok
11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Did you ever find out what the problem was. I just started having a the same problem with my 98 Jimmy. Only the lights blink 3 times together if that makes a difference.

DelCoch
11-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Did you ever find out what the problem was. I just started having a the same problem with my 98 Jimmy. Only the lights blink 3 times together if that makes a difference.
Yes, I found out what the problem was; Click Here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3531098&postcount=3)

fazd
11-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I want to know if anybody else has an answer for this similar problem.

My 4 wheel drive will lock in when I press the button, however it will not switch back. I will have to disconnect my battery everytime I switch to or from 4 wheel drive.

1996 s-10 blazer

The switch is brand new and the switch on the transfer case is also new.

GMC3peat
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Problem solved, I hope.

I disconnected the battery cable and left it overnight. Hooked it back up today and the 4x4 works ok. However, now the air bag light is on – go figure.

I'm gonna try this 2nite...I have too!!...just got quoted a new TCM of $1,065. (CAD) & tax is added to that @ 15% (PST&GST) for my 2001 Jimmy!!...

DelCoch
11-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, now the air bag light is off, but the high side of the 4x4 stopped working again. Seems like there might be a connection between the two. Anyone have any ideas?

rlith
12-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Well, now the air bag light is off, but the high side of the 4x4 stopped working again. Seems like there might be a connection between the two. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you check the vac actuator under the battery? If it's not ripped and the hoses are ok it's most likely your encoder motor. The fact a ecm reset temporarily fixes it indicates this.

GMC3peat
12-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Did you check the vac actuator under the battery? If it's not ripped and the hoses are ok it's most likely your encoder motor. The fact a ecm reset temporarily fixes it indicates this.

Good News folks!!...found a severed vacuum hose at the soleniod... re-attached it & now the 4x4 selector works fine for 4hi & auto4hi...went from big$$ for TCM replacement to zero$$!!...

rlith
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Good News folks!!...found a severed vacuum hose at the soleniod... re-attached it & now the 4x4 selector works fine for 4hi & auto4hi...went from big$$ for TCM replacement to zero$$!!...

Good to hear. It bothers me when people say the 1st thing to do is pull the battery and thinks that solves the underlying issue. Enjoy your 4wd

Add your comment to this topic!