Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Olds 98 won't shift into high gear.

holysmokes500
10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
1. My transaxle won't shift into high gear until I'm doing a minimum of 45 mph and then only after I let off the throttle for a few seconds. I've changed the filter and fluid. The Haynes manual I have for this model car says virtually nothing about the transaxle. Any suggestions?

2. The pump on the air ride system takes about 45 seconds to come on after turning on the ignition. It runs for about 3 seconds but nothing happens...no rise. Once again, the manual I'm using barely mentions this system. Is their a better repair manual our there for this vehicle?

3. Can anyone tell me how to disable this irritating security lockout system? I bought a new key from the dealer, however I frequently have trouble getting it to work, especially on damp days. I am frequently stranded for at least three minutes because it doesn't recognize the key code. The car is 15 years old. I figure if by now somebody actually wants to steal it, they can have it. Beleive it or not, even if I leave the key in the igntion it still has trouble reading the code.

MagicRat
10-29-2005, 07:26 AM
As for the transaxle, your TV (throttle valve) cable may need adjusting.
This cable goes from the transmission to the throttle linkage on the intake manifold. It is easily adjusted by squeezing the 2 plastic tabs together where the cable meets the throttle linkage and moving it out a fraction of an inch. Some trial and error may be required to get it right.

As for the air ride, does your car actually ride too low in the back? If not, and the system retains pressure, it will not pump up at all unless a heavy load is placed in the car.

If the car does ride too low on the back, there is a Schraeder valve (like the air valve on a tire) on the air pump itself. You can use a tire air pump (like a compressor at a gas station) on this valve to introduce compressed air into the system. Look to see if the back end of the car goes up when you do so, and check for air leaks. If the back end does not rise or you hear an air leak, the air lines and/or the rear air shocks are bad.

If it does go up to the proper ride height and hold air pressure, your ride height sensor located on the rear suspension may be bad.

Also, usually there is a delay in the actuation of the air ride after you place a load in the car, or else the air ride would go nuts as you drive down the road.
However,a 45 sec delay is excessive, IMO.

holysmokes500
10-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks MagicRat! I appreciate your advice. About the air ride; The car seems to ride level, however I notice that if I turn on the key and sit on the trunk, it does not rise at all when the pump finally turns on. I'm a bit on the heavy side :o), so I'm guessing it should come up at least a little. That's a system I know almost nothing about. Is there a way to test this system?

dmanlyr
11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
You should have the electronic style of transmission controls on your 91'. It is normal not to go into overdrive until between 39-46 mph, depending upon your final drive ratio. This keeps the low speed torque loading down on forth gear. Much like if you drive say a manual in high gear at low speeds ~ eventually the support bearing will fail from the overload condition. It also reduces the shuddering that occurs from too high of a gear ratio / for the road speed.

That said, does your trans once shifted into 4th, stay there at say 50 mph on a flat level road?

Does the TQ lock up ot not?

If not, then the most common failures are the electric shift solinoids / or the grounds that are associated with them. You should be abe to get a scan code on the transmission to check for problems.

David

holysmokes500
11-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Thanks for responding David. You are right about the transaxle being electronic. It has no TV cable, even though the Haynes manual tells me that is should. I'm certain the car is a 91. Apparently they started using electronics somewhere in the middle of that year.
You will have to bear with me, I was a jet aircraft mechanic for several years, however my knowledge of cars leaves allot to be desired. In answer to your question; yes it stays in 4th above 50 mph and appears to work normally at highway speeds. If I drop to 44 mph, it instantly kicks back down and stays there. I have to tach the engine in order to get above 45 and then let off the throttle to get it back into high. If I don't let off the throttle, it simply will not shift. Of course I live on a road where the speed limit is 45 so this can be quite a pain. I don't understand your next question, "Does the TQ lock up ot not? " Can you clarify? Thanks.

dmanlyr
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Hello, First post a ~ do a resistance check on the soliniods first. It is unlikely that all have gone bad at once. A poor ground comes to mind? Or a intermittant trans electrical connector from the PCM? Have you checked your PRND321 shift switch for a intermittant problem? How is your trans fluid, was it ever burned and then changed?

Second Post ~ I missed a word there, that should read "does the TQ Conv lock up?" (TCC). As far as I know, all of the 91 and later are of the electronic trans type. Sometimes the aftermarket (as well as factory) don't relate to what was actually built. Here is the list of checking your problem(s) #1) Use the scan tool and check for codes. #2) Check for loose connections, bad grounds and a mis-adjusted PRND321 shift switch. There is also a procedure for checking if the PCM is giving the proper signals to the trans. One other thing would be if your TPS was way out of adjustment. 3) Beyond that, then it would be a internal problem, so check the shift soliniods, line pressure, etc. If you have a weak vac signal to the vac modulator, this normaly results in a harsh shift.

Hope this helps, good luck! David

holysmokes500
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks David. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Add your comment to this topic!