Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

323i Temp gauge?????HELP!!!!

dsteck
10-28-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a 5 speed 1999 BMW 323i with 82,000 miles on it. I just drove 800 miles in two days and the Temp gauge read normal all the way. Today 8 minutes into my drive the gauge went to red and stayed there. No steam, no funny sounds from the engine....do I have a defective gauge. I had the radiator pressure checked and they said everything was looking good and ready for the winter here in Maine. I opened the hood and all the hoses look fine, the fan was purring and no unusual heat..... so what is up? :shakehead :shakehead

Dudesky_E36
10-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Probably not the gauge itself, could just be a bad temp sensor.

dsteck
10-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Probably not the gauge itself, could just be a bad temp sensor.

Thanks for getting back with me.....your probably right.....anyway to evaluate which one is bad, without running to the $80/hr. mechanic, is there a way to find the bad sensor? I'm assuming there is more then one sensor in this Bimmer. :banghead:

David

supervisor1886
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Threre might be one only. Like a 3 wire one that acts as a sensor and as a sending unit. If theres two than the coolant temperature sensor is good because it controls the the fan too. Than just change the sending unit. Also there should be a code on the computer for this if its the sensor.Also it would affect the gas mlg and power and warm up period, so i assume its the sending unit, which usualy is close to thermostat housing, somewhere in the head, or elsewhere. If this isnot a bitch to get to than thats a simple fix, but i assume that it should be fucked by this wonderful german engeniring.

daniel 61
10-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Threre might be one only. Like a 3 wire one that acts as a sensor and as a sending unit. If theres two than the coolant temperature sensor is good because it controls the the fan too. Than just change the sending unit. Also there should be a code on the computer for this if its the sensor.Also it would affect the gas mlg and power and warm up period, so i assume its the sending unit, which usualy is close to thermostat housing, somewhere in the head, or elsewhere. If this isnot a bitch to get to than thats a simple fix, but i assume that it should be fucked by this wonderful german engeniring.
There is only one temp. sensor on 323i E46. part #65816905133, about $30.00 a piece.

dsteck
11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
There is only one temp. sensor on 323i E46. part #65816905133, about $30.00 a piece.

Thanks for the feed back......since my call for help I did a little calling to local Bimmer mechanics and they told me since the Temp. gauge needle is moving from blue to red you can rule out the sensor. They thought my best bet was to replace the Thermostat, especially with 83 grand on her so I've got that part on order from Directwire.com
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!