Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 S-10 V6 monster

zeldalord
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Hello, i would like to explain a little about this post, I have a 94 s10, 4.3 TBI V6. I am planning to have it completely redone from the crank up, and using custom made Brodix 23 degree heads and a custom ground cam and posibly fabricating my own intake manifold if i have to, more about that later.
My goal in HP is about 400-500 with a turbo, NOS maybe. I am basing most of the engine off of Hot Rods magazine's article "The 3/4 350" hyperlink here: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0208_v6/

And yes i have considered a LS1, and no it would be to much work in having to redo the entire truck to accomidate it.

My question to the room is this: can someone with good cam know how give me some ideas about raising the rpm's on this little monster, custom grinds are definately an option. The max rpm for most grinds from Comp and Crain is 6000 RPM, my passion is to increase the redline to 8000-9000 RPM. Yes I realize that the Edelbrock intake manifold only has a power band of idle-5500, but I want the RPM if it kills me, 6000 is not enough. As said earlier, i would not be above taking a Edelbrock Carb intake and modifing it for longer runners for higher RPM.

Any help would be GREATLY apreciated,
Thx in advance Phil

OverBoardProject
10-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Well I wouldn't attemp it.

You'll be spending more time, effort, and money doing that motor up than it'll ever be worth

Unless you own your own machine shop it'll basicly be impossible.

You have to remember that those magazine's have very deep pockets, plus they get most of their parts and work done for free.

Building up a 400 small block will get you 350 - 400hp easily enough, and still fit under the hood.
Plus it'll be more reliable.
A friend of mine builds them up and can scream them up to 7000rpm safely

If your realistic about your goals they might happen, and we won't call you a B.S.er

scoobytuff
10-27-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't know about a specific cam, I the a custom grind would be your best bet. That many RPMs is just a disaster waiting to happen. Its possible the first time you hit 9 grand you will have problems. If you have the money to build it twice, go for it. I'm not knocking it, but my experience with experimental builds is that you will typically not achieve the desired results the first go round. If you have the funds and are not scared of doing twice, go for it. Thats the kind of envelope pushing stuff that makes for new developments in this hobby.

OverBoardProject
10-27-2005, 04:33 PM
I remember reading an article in a sport bike magazine that pistons can only go so fast before they start to have problems.

And in the article they explained how the high screaming motors used in Indy cars and F1 cars have a short stroke.
This allows them to spin at a higher RPM before they hit their max speed.

I know that we won't likely have an indy motor droped in front of us to examine

However the same goes for motorbikes. Which we can examine. When you see a bike that can rev the motor faster than the others look into the engine spec's and you'll see that the stroke is shorter.

Keeping this in mind, if you have lots of money, and want to build a screaming v6 you can have a special crank shaft, pistons, and connecting rods made up.
If you used a 4.3L block the motor would more likely be a 3.5l or so.
This motor would be very peaky, and not much torque. But pretty high horsepower for the size.
Still not a good street motor.

If your still going to atempt to build up that motor read these links, and their links.
They seem to be pretty good, and will save you a lot of problems in the design
http://www.wfu.edu/~rollins/piston/offset/
http://www.engineersedge.com/engine_formula_automotive.htm

whitetrash982
10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
OBP is right , that engine simply shouldent be meant to see that high of an RPM , its just simply to long of a stroke. but this doesnt mean you cant makea killer engine , just wouldent be able to take the RPM's , i think the highest a 4.3 shuold eevr go , and even then is questionable , is 6000. you also must worry about the rotating assembly , your right knowing you need a big cam and diff intake , but your wrong on runner size , the shorter the intake runners , the more high end power. a perfect example for you , my current project , a 67 camaro. i also have a lust for high rpm and chose a bit more feasible option , the 327 , not just that , a small journal , which all makes sense , a reitivly short stroke , and smaller crank journals for less weight , but you also must remember , ive already blown over 8000$ on this engine , and im still not done , this shit is anything but cheap , you need top notch quality rods , tough as nails pistons , a forged crank , and some hefty mains , i went with a 4 bolt splay. but even beyond all this money , the highest RPM itll ever see is 8000. do what you will , and i certainly wish you luck , but i wouldent expect a 4.3 to do what you want it to

OverBoardProject
10-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Wt, that sounds like it'll be an incredible motor that your building.

That'll be 1 incredible Comaro.

What's the plans for the transmission.
I hope a 6 speed manual :biggrin:
With so much into the motor it's a reasonable transmission to run

zeldalord
10-27-2005, 09:43 PM
ah more replies than I expected, ok one thing I want to reply to is that a Ninja motorcycle is capable of 15k RPM but than again, it is a two cylinder. hmmm yes as mentioned I have considered the LS1 option, and the only prob with it is that I would have to redo the entire fuel system, from the tank forward. I do like the idea of a LS1 but then again I really like the idea of being able to outrun a stock C5 with a V6 lol.
But being sensible, Jegs sells a kit to convert the LS1 into a LS6 for about $1700.00 which makes about 390 HP, and i really like the sound of a V8 into a S10, but does anyone know, how bad of gas milage would a V6 get making around 400 HP???
Thx for the replies ppl! :)

OverBoardProject
10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I know that I haven't looked at motorbikes since I damaged my spinal cord in a boat accident, But the last time that I looked Ninja's had a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 16 valve motor.

Not a 2 cylinder motor

You'll be lucky to get 10-12 mpg with a 400hp motor.
However many cylinders it has, unless you baby it.

balls_to_the_wall
10-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Or if the engine is in a F-body or vette and has that T-56 6spd.

But I figure if they can get a small block to turn 10k rpm, if its only for 8 seconds at a time, and 1000hp 4cyl (this was over 10 years ago). What you want is possible, just would take alot of engineering, money, and time.

-Ryan

whitetrash982
10-28-2005, 12:17 AM
i was actually origianlly going to try and use an old M-20 for a trans (old school 4 spd) , plenty strong , but run outta gear really quick , so i was thinking about a 5 spd simply cuz its a bit more economical on the pocket book , but had definatly considered a t56 , only prob is the price , about 2500$ , but in which case id have to thro new gears in it , which has alerady been done , either way , i got some AFR 180cc heads , nice fat lumpy cam , solid roller, stud girdles , head studs , o , and my fav thats in the works right now , remember thos old 5" side pipes on the old 60's vettes? yeah , i got a set straight from hooker on the way , i love them , and theyll do wonderful for high RPM exhust flow , incase your wondering , my idea was for nothing but high RPM , keep in mind , ive already blown over 10k , and still barely have interior , :)

OverBoardProject
10-28-2005, 02:18 AM
I like those leg burner side pipes.

I almost had a set on my old 63 Ford 1/2 ton when I was building it up.
I traded that 1 in for my 2 Essex's

That'll be 1 nice 67, and the best part is it'll still handle pretty good with the small block up front

AFR heads are what I want for my coupe, although that 1 will be blue FoMoCo powered. (I'm hoping for around 350hp out of a 302)

whitetrash982
10-28-2005, 07:57 PM
shouldent be too much of a prob with htous heads , specially with the right cam , but i was just gonna paint the block chevy orange , and leave the heads in thier natrual state, and i got some kick ass black crinkle valve covers and timing cover , ill be sure to post a pic once i get that beast together , :)

OverBoardProject
10-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Add your comment to this topic!