Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

If I take out a fuse, will I get a check engin light?

happydog500
10-26-2005, 09:06 PM
In my 97 LeSabre, my interior lights flash or flicker when I drive. At night when I look out, I see the lights flashing when it's parked.

I finally took out the fuse to stop it. I see I won't be able to drive it at night because my dash lights are effected by the removal of the fuse.

I haven't ran the car since I took the fuse out. If I do drive the car, will it record an error code and give me a check engin light?

I'm asking because I have to pay to clear the codes from the car. Thank youk,
Chris.

HotZ28
10-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Removing the IP fuse would have no effect on the PCM code setting ability. Codes are set with regard to sensor malfunctions that effect engine operating parameters, emissions related malfunctions, or other power train malfunctions. The interior lights are not within the code feedback structure.

You have an intermittent electrical problem that should be repaired somewhere in your lighting circuit that could be hard to diagnose without the proper equipment, and knowledge. It could take an experienced technician 15- minutes to 6-hours to find and fix the problem. Some unscrupulous shops may find fix the problem in 15 minutes and say that it took four hours, which of course you will be charged for the full four hours.
:disappoin

Best advice I could give, would be to know your mechanics business ethics as well as his mechanical and electrical knowledge before you have anyone work on your car. There are a few exceptions out there; however most shops are like any other business, out to make a quick buck!
:2cents:

happydog500
10-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The few people I've asked have all comented that is sounds like a Keyless Entry Problem. I looked at a wireing diagram and the door switch and interior lights do go into the "Remote Accessory Control Module."

I've looked a little but can't find it. The dealer siad it could be in 3 different places. Can't understand why they don't know the exact spot. Thanks again,
Chris.

Add your comment to this topic!