Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

flashing temp and oil LEDs

passatGLwgn
10-26-2005, 04:33 PM
This car has been great to me in the past. A new and very annoying thing started to happen. I check everything (fluids) weekly. I maintain it.
Mornings: I start it--ok. 3 mins later sometimes less, Then it begins to misfire, and the oil and temp LEDs flicker like a "short" is present. This makes the car run real, real bad. Ive tested alt, tested and replaced the batt. Im getting 14.5 v output- which fades to 13.7. It will maintain 13.0-13.5 when hot. The battery led lights only with IGN on, engine not running-goes off when started. Ive checked grounds, bolts, harness, blue wire from alt, hot to starter, pos and neg connections.I had the dash out, while in there I fixed the temp guage (resolder) hasnt worked for years. I also have a SUN tune mounted inside the car console as well. Its never done this one. I cant make this obvious big time trouble disappear. Any advice guys?

passatGLwgn
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
This car has been great to me in the past. A new and very annoying thing started to happen. I check everything (fluids) weekly. I maintain it.
Mornings: I start it--ok. 3 mins later sometimes less, Then it begins to misfire, and the oil and temp LEDs flicker like a "short" is present. This makes the car run real, real bad. Ive tested alt, tested and replaced the batt. Im getting 14.5 v output- which fades to 13.7. It will maintain 13.0-13.5 when hot. The battery led lights only with IGN on, engine not running-goes off when started. Ive checked grounds, bolts, harness, blue wire from alt, hot to starter, pos and neg connections.I had the dash out, while in there I fixed the temp guage (resolder) hasnt worked for years. I also have a SUN tune mounted inside the car console as well. Its never done this one. I cant make this obvious big time trouble disappear..By the way, its a 91 2.0 L 16v - no mods Any advice guys?By the way, its a 91 2.0 L 16v - no mods

passatGLwgn
10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
By the way, its a 91 2.0 L 16v - no mods
I also replaced with "off the shelf " new Bosch parts:
1.coolant sensor,
2. 02 sensor,
3. cat,
4.entire new distributor,
5. coil w/PoS ,
6.cap & rotor.

passatGLwgn
10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I also replaced with "off the shelf " new Bosch parts:
1.coolant sensor,
2. 02 sensor,
3. cat,
4.entire new distributor,
5. coil w/PoS ,
6.cap & rotor.
Ignition SWITCH and starter switch are also new. Problem hasnt gone away. Do I need to replace ECU? no...no say it isnt so Joe, those are expensive.

Add your comment to this topic!