blinker not blinking

frizbal
10-25-2005, 10:48 PM
I have a 96 firebird 3800(dont think it matters for blinker trouble but oh well lol). My left side rear blinker doesn't blink when i flick on the turn signal. Instead it just stays solid until i turn it off. rarily it will blink but it blinks...stays on for about 3 seconds... blinks... and repeats. Does anyone know this problem? All the bulbs light and work. Please help!

97cavalier
10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I have a 96 firebird 3800(dont think it matters for blinker trouble but oh well lol). My left side rear blinker doesn't blink when i flick on the turn signal. Instead it just stays solid until i turn it off. rarily it will blink but it blinks...stays on for about 3 seconds... blinks... and repeats. Does anyone know this problem? All the bulbs light and work. Please help!
did you say all the bulbs are good? if not that usaly means there is a blown bulb. If that is not it, it MIGHT be the blinker mondual. I don't think that would be it tho.

frizbal
10-25-2005, 11:21 PM
yes all bulbs work. but it still somewhat blinks, would that mean the mod is GOING to go out or what?

gmack221
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Does both side not flash, or just one, usually when you have one stick on its a bad bulb, corroed socket, or a turn signal relay starting to go out.

Try a turn signal relay first its cheap, sometimes they stick and will not flash. The relay is the annoying clicking you hear when you turn on the turn signal or 4-ways, it should be under the dash (usually on the drivers side by the column). Easiest way to locate is get one side to work, then listen for the clicking. Sometimes they use one relay for the turn signals and one for the 4-way-flashers, they are usually close to each other and if you can't get the turn signal one to click you can get the 4-way flashers to click. If its always clicking then you have a problem with bulbs, light sockets, or wiring.

frizbal
10-26-2005, 10:47 PM
if the relay go's out wouldn't it make both stop blinking instead of just one? cause the right side blinks fine but the left dont. and if the socke was bad would it still be able to light up? cuz mine duz

Matt365
10-26-2005, 10:54 PM
replace the flasher unit with a heavy duty flasher unit. If you look you will probably notice that your front left is also not blinking. Firebirds have a mysterious wiring problem that after awhilewont let the front left blinker work properly. Just replace your flasher now iwht a heavy duty flasher and ur rear blinker will blink, but your front one still wont.

gmack221
10-27-2005, 08:11 AM
when my flasher (turn signal relay) started to go, it would stick when I turned on the right turn signal but was fine when I turned on the left one. Don't claim to understand it, just the way it happened on mine, eventually it quit working on both sides. For a heavy duty flasher your looking at about $10, they are cheap, I would try that first.

frizbal
10-28-2005, 12:05 PM
replace the flasher unit with a heavy duty flasher unit. If you look you will probably notice that your front left is also not blinking. Firebirds have a mysterious wiring problem that after awhilewont let the front left blinker work properly. Just replace your flasher now iwht a heavy duty flasher and ur rear blinker will blink, but your front one still wont.

both blinkers on the right side dont work. do the flashers work the back and the front? or do they work the left side and the right side?

traskin
11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I had this problem on my 94, and the guilty party was a faulty ground in the tail light. My lights would blink right, blink slow, not blink, or just blow. Along with that, the ABS Inop light would come on, and the cruise control wouldn't work. I fixed it by hardwiring a ground to a bolt in the trunk.
Hope this helps!

Crazygoat
12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Im having this exact same problem with my 97 firebird but on the right side. My front blinker blinks but not my rear. When i turn on the signal itll maybe flash for a few seconds then stay solid.

FormulaLT1
12-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Anyone got built up moisture in your rear tail light?. This usually causes lights to blow and could cause a short if the water builds up enough. If any of the lights to the side you are trying to signal are not making good contact or if one is blown or if you have a short in one wire to that side. None will blink.

Add your comment to this topic!