Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4 tires changed, 4wd runs rough

xfreak
10-25-2005, 08:17 PM
I recently put in 4 new tires and shocks (Monroe sensa trac) on my 1999 isuzu rodeo 4x4 v6. Now when I press the 4wd button the truck runs really rough(grinding noise). Also on 4HI, if go about 50 mph, the 4wd gear shifts down by itself and truck doesnot move at all. I have also noticed that the 4wd doesnot disengage soon enough. I then have to put the gear in park and turn the key off for it to disengage.
I cant understand what is going on. All the tires are same (Walmart liberators 235-75/15). Has this happened to anybody else? I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

Canucklehead
10-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I recently put in 4 new tires and shocks (Monroe sensa trac) on my 1999 isuzu rodeo 4x4 v6. Now when I press the 4wd button the truck runs really rough(grinding noise). Also on 4HI, if go about 50 mph, the 4wd gear shifts down by itself and truck doesnot move at all. I have also noticed that the 4wd doesnot disengage soon enough. I then have to put the gear in park and turn the key off for it to disengage.
I cant understand what is going on. All the tires are same (Walmart liberators 235-75/15). Has this happened to anybody else? I need all the help I can get. Thanks.
I hate my Rodeo just being in the Wal-Mart parking lot when I get oil, there is no way I would let those chumps work on it. :screwy:

rodeo02
10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
The range selector poping out of 4-hi indicates major driveline bind. It's a built-in pressure relief of sorts. Typical cause of this on the 1998+ is a difference in tire circumference. Go back to where you got the tires, explain the situation and have the tires checked. I bet one of those tires is mismarked, defective, or an odd size accidentally put on.

G/luck
Joel

xfreak
10-25-2005, 10:24 PM
The range selector poping out of 4-hi indicates major driveline bind. It's a built-in pressure relief of sorts. Typical cause of this on the 1998+ is a difference in tire circumference. Go back to where you got the tires, explain the situation and have the tires checked. I bet one of those tires is mismarked, defective, or an odd size accidentally put on.

G/luck
Joel

Thank you for your prompt reply. Even though all four tires are liberators, the treads are diferent on two of the tires. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

rodeo02
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
...... the treads are diferent on two of the tires. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

There's your problem! Hard to beleive those knuckle-heads would go ahead and install a mis-matched set on a 4x4! Major no-no.
G/luck
Joel

Canucklehead
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Hard to beleive those knuckle-heads would go ahead and install a mis-matched set on a 4x4!
Uh, we're talking about Wal-Mart here. :devil:

Ramblin Fever
10-26-2005, 11:14 AM
I'd request - if possible (if they still have your old tires) to get your money back, and go to an actual tire store, i.e. Discount tire, BigO, even Sears will fair you MUCH better.

Gizmo42
10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
I wont let sears touch my vehicles again. They warped my brakes on my mitsu using torque sticks to put the wheels on, after I told them not to. Then I spent 2 hrs arguing with them over it. Wasnt real impressed with the tires either (sears own brand, I'm cheap hehe). I like tires plus, they seem to do a good job and will do a free alignment check if you want. Plus they carry dayton timberline tires which are pretty cheap and are good tires.

smelyal8r
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I had the same problem with my 01 Rodeo 4WD. When I bought it they had bridgestones on the back and firestones on the front that were the same size, but a slightly different circumference. I had to actually turn the wheels to get the 4WD to engage while moving. I replaced them with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT's from Tire World. I paid just under 5 hundo and have had them for almost 2 years. Great tires. They wear really well and handle snow and dirt like a champ. The only thing I would put on besides the Coopers would be BFG's if I ever found them on sale for the same price as the Coopers!

smelyal8r
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I had the same problem with my 01 Rodeo 4WD. When I bought it they had bridgestones on the back and firestones on the front that were the same size, but a slightly different circumference. I had to actually turn the wheels to get the 4WD to engage while moving. I replaced them with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT's from Tire World. I paid just under 5 hundo and have had them for almost 2 years. Great tires. They wear really well and handle snow and dirt like a champ. That solved the problem instantly. The only thing I would put on besides the Coopers would be BFG's if I ever found them on sale for the same price as the Coopers!

rodeo02
10-26-2005, 02:47 PM
.. I replaced them with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT's from Tire World. I paid just under 5 hundo and have had them for almost 2 years. Great tires. They wear really well and handle snow and dirt like a champ. That solved the problem instantly....

:cheers: . I tried a set of coopers years ago. It's the only brand of tire (truck or car) I've bought since. You get alot of tire for the money with cooper & they pretty much are only sold & installed by good shops.

G/luck
Joel

smelyal8r
10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Good to hear about the Coopers. I went out wheelin a couple weeks back and found a steep slope that I never thought I would make. It was rutted out and nasty! I dropped my rodeo into 4L and crawled all the way up to the top with spinning a tire! Then had to back down! I love those tires.

2eyefishclaw
10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
wal mart keeps dealers in busniesss

ogfooman
10-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Just a reminder, 4hi is not for pavement of any type, even wet pavement. Only in low traction conditions like snow, mud, or dirt/rock trails should you be using 4hi or 4low. Otherwise, you will bind up the drivetrain and do very bad things to very expensive parts.

xfreak
10-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It was the difference in tire circumference that was making the 4wd gear pop off. What happened was, Michelin makes the liberators now, not Uniroyal, but when the mechanics put in the tires in my truck they had mismatched the Uniroyal liberators and Michelin liberators. Don't get me wrong, I like these liberators. They run nice and quiet and for $56.83 a pop you cant go wrong. Somebody had used these tires before and they had liked it so i wanted to give it a try.

Canucklehead
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Just a reminder, 4hi is not for pavement of any type, even wet pavement.
:screwy:
I guess that's why the owner's manual says;

4 Hi
Use this for normal driving on WET, icy or snow covered PAVEMENT. This position provides greater traction than two-wheel drive. Top speed is limited to 60 mph.

tj98rodeo
09-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Last year, I purchased and had installed 4 Michilins at Costco. After the tires were replaced, I notice a rubbing sound when I turn (but only if the car has been running for several minutes). I checked the tire clearance at different points of a turn, and the front tires are not near any rub points.

Initially, I thought it was the Power Steering laboring when I max out a turn, but it doesn't make that sound with the truck is not moving.

Could the Michilin's circumference be the problem if I replaced all four tires?

What else could it be?

The performance at high speeds have not changed, so I've been dealing with this noise for over a year now. I thought I'd take it to the dealer, but I'm afraid they might break my truck even more.

Thanks,
TJ
98 Rodeo

2eyefishclaw
09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I have seen something as simple as uneven tire pressure cause this

Add your comment to this topic!