Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car wont start......lights and radio staying on

lababydawl
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I am having problems with my 97 crown vic. starting. I went to the store, stayed about fifteen mins(never had any problems b4 this), and when I went to start the car to leave........it wouldnt start. The battery is fine, but another problem is that when the key is out, the radio is staying on now and the dash lights wont go off. Its like the key is in the ON position all the time, yet when you turn it to start the car there is nothing(no noise of any sort). Usually if its the starter it gives a little warning that it is going out, but Im thinking its ignition prob. because of the lights and radio staying on. Any suggestions on how to start diagnosing the problem. Thanks.

peppermrj
10-30-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm with you on the ignition prob. Sounds like an ignition switch. should be right around $20.00.

In the start position the lights should dim if the starter is attempting to crank. If not then check to see if you are getting 12 volts to the solenoid with the key in the start position. If not check out the neutral safety switch, the wire, the connections, and the ignition switch to see where the power stops.

Replace the lock cylinder if you replace the ignition switch.

Good hunting.

ModMech
10-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I am willing to bet that either the ignition SWITCH (NOT lock cylinder) is either loose or stuck (actuating rod fell off or broke).

The repair might be as simple as removing the key, finding the SWITCH (on the top of the steering column under the dash) and checking to see if it moves (is loose), and if so moving it DOWNWARD towards the firewall until everything shuts off then tigntening the bolts (two).

Add your comment to this topic!