Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Air Intake [suggestions?]

bigry2004
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
i am thinking about getting a cold air intake. well highly leaning towards it... i looked and found a whole K&N setup for like $200. then i stumbled upon a few on ebay ranging from $25-50. heres one for $15 thats almost identical with not a K&n filter but still better than the stock and its a cone filter. is this worth the $40 [15 +25 shipping] ? i think it is, but i would like suggestions please.........

2000blazerls
10-24-2005, 09:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S10-BLAZER-JIMMY-4-3L-Cold-Air-Intake-96-05-K-N-Filte_W0QQitemZ8009889033QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Nice intake with both pipes (before and after MAF) and a K&N filter, not a cheap worthless filter like theothers offer.

bigry2004
10-24-2005, 10:00 PM
i am thinking about getting a cold air intake. well highly leaning towards it... i looked and found a whole K&N setup for like $200. then i stumbled upon a few on ebay ranging from $25-50. heres one for $15 thats almost identical with not a K&n filter but still better than the stock and its a cone filter. is this worth the $40 [15 +25 shipping] ? i think it is, but i would like suggestions please.........

thanks for the suggestion blazer. this was actually supposed to be in my 1st post so ill put it here.. its the link i was referring to if it was decent or not. :icon16:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-S10-JIMMY-BLAZER-ZR2-96-04-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-4-3L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ80094030 85QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

BlazerLT
10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
You will like that intake.

dmbrisket 51
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
just remember... ive posted in tonz of CAI posts, personally i like them, they add a throughty sound, BUT if you have MAF, be VERY careful, the oil in the filters (k&n included, they are probibly worse then the cheeper filters because they wouldnt "cut corners" as much) will mess up the maf badly, and they aint' cheep

BlazerLT
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
just remember... ive posted in tonz of CAI posts, personally i like them, they add a throughty sound, BUT if you have MAF, be VERY careful, the oil in the filters (k&n included, they are probibly worse then the cheeper filters because they wouldnt "cut corners" as much) will mess up the maf badly, and they aint' cheep

for sure, NEVER over oil your filter.

bigry2004
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
for sure, NEVER over oil your filter.

okay. so just install it as it comes?

BlazerLT
10-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Yea, they usually come pre-oiled.

But check though.

dmbrisket 51
10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
they come pre-oiled, and you re oil them, and wash them instead of throwing them away for a new one, and that is where my warning was i guess, when you finally need to clean and re-oil, dont over do the oil, it will cause over 300 in damage

Bodaggit
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
they come pre-oiled, and you re oil them, and wash them instead of throwing them away for a new one, and that is where my warning was i guess, when you finally need to clean and re-oil, dont over do the oil, it will cause over 300 in damage

can't you just clean the maf if that happen?

dmbrisket 51
10-25-2005, 04:58 PM
^^no, the oils compesition for some reason messes up the heat coils that run across...

bigry2004
10-25-2005, 09:59 PM
You will like that intake.

im pretty excited for it. will i notice a significant difference in power and acceleration? it is supposed to sound 'throaty' which is pretty cool. i should be getting it in a week, just wanna hear some stuff about it before it comes. i feel like a kid again. hah. im a :loser:

dmbrisket 51
10-25-2005, 10:04 PM
exhaust, then you will notice a difference

bigry2004
10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
exhaust, then you will notice a difference

ahh so no difference until i get an exhaust?

dmbrisket 51
10-25-2005, 10:19 PM
what it comes down to is breathing, your truck can already breath good, it cant exhaust good... best analigy i have for it is open your mouth and take a deep breath, then breath out of your nose,... your truck in action...

bigry2004
10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
what it comes down to is breathing, your truck can already breath good, it cant exhaust good... best analigy i have for it is open your mouth and take a deep breath, then breath out of your nose,... your truck in action...

ahh, well thanks for the help. i shouldve known that before just getting that and not an exhaust. whats a good exhaust i could get for a reasonable price? ill scan ebay in the meantime.....

2000blazerls
10-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, the intake did nothing for the sound of my truck. I had my exhaust put on about a week later and it does make a world of difference. If your local Midas still sells Ravin go with them. None of the 50 or so Midas stores in Georgia seemed to carry them anymore and will not order them so good luck with that one.

Yeah and watch the oil on the filter. I got the K&N intake like the one I linked ot and it seemed HEAVILY pre-oiled. I need to check my MAF while changing my plugs/wires/cap/rotor tomorrow and clean it because I am sure it is gunky now because of this.

bigry2004
10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes, the intake did nothing for the sound of my truck. I had my exhaust put on about a week later and it does make a world of difference. If your local Midas still sells Ravin go with them. None of the 50 or so Midas stores in Georgia seemed to carry them anymore and will not order them so good luck with that one.

Yeah and watch the oil on the filter. I got the K&N intake like the one I linked ot and it seemed HEAVILY pre-oiled. I need to check my MAF while changing my plugs/wires/cap/rotor tomorrow and clean it because I am sure it is gunky now because of this.

okay, thanks blazer. i guess more of my concern went to whether i would notice a difference performance wise before sound wise. i will still notice increased gas mileage and slightly more horsepower even without a new exhaust right? i'm going to check my midas dealer sometime soon just to see about ravin exhaust. i wonder if i could find one up here in MI if youd want me to ship it down to georgie for you.. couldnt be too pricy. so if its heavily pre-oiled i need to remove some excess slime before i slap it on?

one more ? while your on it... how hard are all the plugs to get to? havent changed mine in the year and a half ive had it and thinkin when its time for a tuneup soon might see if one of my buddies can get to it.

Thanks!

Officer Redneck
10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
I have the Chrome Intakes cold air intake. I love it. It comes with a K&N type filter but is desidned somewhat different. The top of the filter is recessed a couple of inches for more usable surface and it is shiny so it looks cool. Shipping, handling and ins was $46.00. You clean the filter with the K&N setup. P.M. me if you have any questions.

BlazerLT
10-26-2005, 08:59 AM
The ebay kits are quite the good deal and represent 95% of the performance increase for 25% of the money.

No better value out there.

mike1224
10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Talked to a local Midas shop... Ravin is now Vortex. He said its still same shape and construction. he gave me a rough estimate of $450-550 for single in, dual out.... gonna wait, since i've seen cheaper

BlazerLT
10-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Talked to a local Midas shop... Ravin is now Vortex. He said its still same shape and construction. he gave me a rough estimate of $450-550 for single in, dual out.... gonna wait, since i've seen cheaper

He is ripping you off. You really don't need dual out at all. You will get plenty of flow with just the single in and out.

The muffler itself is $85.99 at JC Whitney so I don't know where he is coming up with the extra charges other than that second tailpip can be a pain to route.

Save some money and install just the standard 2.25" in and out muffler and it should cost you no more than $175 or so.

2000blazerls
10-26-2005, 11:14 AM
okay, thanks blazer. i guess more of my concern went to whether i would notice a difference performance wise before sound wise. i will still notice increased gas mileage and slightly more horsepower even without a new exhaust right? i'm going to check my midas dealer sometime soon just to see about ravin exhaust. i wonder if i could find one up here in MI if youd want me to ship it down to georgie for you.. couldnt be too pricy. so if its heavily pre-oiled i need to remove some excess slime before i slap it on?

one more ? while your on it... how hard are all the plugs to get to? havent changed mine in the year and a half ive had it and thinkin when its time for a tuneup soon might see if one of my buddies can get to it.

Thanks!

Plugs are not too bad if you have the tools. I work at a new car dealership with a nice shop. The techs let me use whatever I like after hours as long as I clean it up and put it back when I am done so for me, it is an EASY job. If you do not have the right tools it might be tough to get to the number 3 plug. Do a search on the forums for "spark plugs" and read some of the responses concerning the ease of change. What is easy for me may be hard for you and vice versa so read up and see if it would be easy enough for you to do.

You probably wont notice much increase without a muffler because you take in more air but no way to push it out (if I am not mistaken). You might notice a little bump in sound quality. But I got an Incenerator muffler from Lawson performance and added it. Total cost installed was just over $110. Very nice sound and with the inatke I get better acceleration AND sound. Honestly not much of a bump in gas mileage but then again I have a heavy foot. Do a search for "Muffler Question" and look for my thread and there is a video of how mine sounds.

cubanlorenzo
10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
im in need of a new exhaust. headers are fine. but im getting rust all over the piping everywhere. getting louder and louder. i have inspection coming up in jan so i have to get it done. what do you think is a reasonable price to get this work done? im going to need all piping, from y pipe back. cat is still good, but i might as well replace it.

mike1224
10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
He is ripping you off. You really don't need dual out at all. You will get plenty of flow with just the single in and out.

The muffler itself is $85.99 at JC Whitney so I don't know where he is coming up with the extra charges other than that second tailpip can be a pain to route.

Save some money and install just the standard 2.25" in and out muffler and it should cost you no more than $175 or so. $180 for single in/single out. single should be good enough?? cool.

dmbrisket 51
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
i payed 450 for a pro flow v force single in duel out

mike1224
10-26-2005, 05:46 PM
so, $400+ would be what i'd be looking to spend on a dual out if, i go that route? (if i get August rent from POS roomy, i'll get something.

dmbrisket 51
10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
yes, seams fair to say that, i know single in/out flows plunty good for our trucks but 1 im putting a 350 in, and now i have 2 pipes, and 2, it looks sooo much better duel chrome out the back, and at the moment, its duel under the bed, echo from hell, sounds bad ass, got to hear her run tonight :-D, its in storage already so that made me happy

BlazerLT
10-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Dual out is just not needed.

Go single, save money and put the money towards some toys for the truck.

dmbrisket 51
10-27-2005, 01:18 AM
and i said that, "single in/out flows plunty good", but personal preference/looks

mike1224
10-27-2005, 07:23 AM
as much as i want the dual out, its not worth the extra $300. Off topic here. I'm geting the house, closing date is Nov. 22nd.

BlazerLT
10-27-2005, 08:40 AM
as much as i want the dual out, its not worth the extra $300. Off topic here. I'm geting the house, closing date is Nov. 22nd.

Excellent, put that money into that excellent investment.

dmbrisket 51
10-27-2005, 01:11 PM
congrats. and i agree with lt, excellent investment, go with the house over the blazer

Add your comment to this topic!