Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lamp out indicator light

andyhackethal
10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
The "Lamp Out" indicator light on my '03 1500 Ram is lit on my instrument cluster. There are no lights out. I've disconnected the battery for 3 hours. I've check the tightness of the bulbs as best I can. Even with the light "on" there are no blubs out with all turned on. This is an intermittent problem that is compounded by rough road. I would think its a short or loose connection. Any suggestions? The ding-ding-ding is driving me crazy.

imtheoneandonlyD
10-24-2005, 11:58 PM
If it constantly dings then the light isnt out yet, but will be soon. If the light stays on and the dinging isnt always there there IS a light out. It happend to me yesterday. Get someone to press the brakes to make sure all the filaments on the brake lights are working. That was my problem. The passengers lights all worked but with the brakes pressed they didnt get brighter.

andyhackethal
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
If it constantly dings then the light isnt out yet, but will be soon. If the light stays on and the dinging isnt always there there IS a light out. It happend to me yesterday. Get someone to press the brakes to make sure all the filaments on the brake lights are working. That was my problem. The passengers lights all worked but with the brakes pressed they didnt get brighter.
That was exactly the problem. Right brake light was out. My wife happened to be behind me yesterday in her van and noticed it was not working. Of course, just walking around by one's self, the brake lights wouldn't be activated. A new bulb took care of everything!!!! Thanks for an excellent suggestion!

imtheoneandonlyD
10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
No problem, glad i could help.

nealuss
11-13-2005, 01:23 PM
for future reference; if you put the wrong bulb back in the socket (even though it may fit and still light up) your indicator may still come on due to different voltage.

Add your comment to this topic!